This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8519 / 51°51'6"N
Longitude: -5.1087 / 5°6'31"W
OS Eastings: 185998
OS Northings: 221605
OS Grid: SM859216
Mapcode National: GBR CD.TFJ2
Mapcode Global: VH1R4.DQL6
Entry Name: Farmyard ranges at Southwood
Listing Date: 13 November 1997
Last Amended: 13 November 1997
Source ID: 19083
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: U-plan ranges around yard with Southwood farmhouse across upper end, and one additional range running E.
Community: Nolton and Roch (Nolton a'r Garn)
Community: Nolton and Roch
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Extensive linked group of outbuildings, dated on one part 1822 (the date also of the farmhouse) and on another `D. Allen 1854'. The 1837 Roch Tithe Map shows the two parallel E and W ranges and part of a NE range. The farm was then owned by Richard Bright, occupied by Thomas Walters.
Extensive linked group of farm-buildings, comprising a three-sided yard, downhill of the farmhouse and an additional range running E from NE corner of the yard, and facing N. Rubble stone with varied roofs. Yard has long W range, former cow-houses with walled yards in front. Asbestos sheet roofing, apart from some grouted slate remaining at left end. From right, two doors with stone voussoirs, then one door with timber lintel, opening into walled yard, then two further walled yards each with originally two cambered headed openings with stone voussoirs, but one of right pair has gone for C20 full-height opening and other is blocked. Further left, a door with missing stone voussoirs. Left end, with grouted slate roof, has two doors with stone voussoirs. Parts of the rear of this W range have been removed to open into C20 buildings behind. In front wall near C20 opening is inset what appears to be an early Christian inscribed stone with ribbon cross.
S range is dated 1854 to left, and has grouted slate roof and band of dove-holes under eaves. Centre C20 added lean-to dairy, two doors to left, one blocked, with stone voussoirs and keystones, date plaque above. To right four doors, the two centre ones now windows, with similar stone voussoirs and keystones.
E range has grouted roof at angle with S range, this section with one door and stone voussoirs with keystone of one build with S range. Next section has asbestos slate roof, continuing same roof-line, and one door and one small window to left, both with stone voussoirs. The next range to left has asbestos sheet roof and same roof-line. Broad door to left, 2 loops and one window to right, stone voussoirs. Taller lofted left end range is dated 1822 on N end. Asbestos sheet roof. E side has centre outside stone steps to loft door. Door and window to ground floor right with one broad and one narrow loft light above. To left of steps just one similar broad loft light. N pine end has cart-entry with 1822 on keystone of broad cambered arch. Windowless above.
Range running E has grouted roofs. Low section with single door against NE angle of farmyard range, stone voussoirs, but indication of blocked wider opening. To left a taller coach-house range has right end stack, two broad elliptical-arched coach-entries with square pier and keystones. Cut-stone voussoirs. Small window and door to left and then door with loft door above at extreme left, in angle to rear wall of monopitch-roofed pigsty range across E end.
Pigsty has grouted roof, walled small yards in front of three sties with low doors.
An extensive and linked group of farm-buildings, among the best surviving in the region. Group value with Southwood farmhouse and outside kitchen.
Other nearby listed buildings