This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5211 / 51°31'15"N
Longitude: -3.6969 / 3°41'48"W
OS Eastings: 282366
OS Northings: 181605
OS Grid: SS823816
Mapcode National: GBR H7.HGT9
Mapcode Global: VH5HG.V1Z8
Entry Name: Pyle Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Capel y Pil, and schoolroom, with forecourt railings.
Listing Date: 2 January 1998
Last Amended: 2 January 1998
Source ID: 19171
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Ffordd y Eglwys leads from Pyle to North Cornelly. The chapel is set gable end to the road W of the former railway line, with the schoolroom adjoining on the S.
Community: Cornelly (Corneli)
Built-Up Area: Pyle
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The chapel, inspired by William Thomas Ty-draw, was formed in 1786, parts of which are said to be incorporated into the schoolroom/vestry. It was rebuilt in 1830 for the growing attendance. The present building is an enlargement of the 1830 building undertaken in 1862.
Built of rubble stone with a slate roof. The chapel has a symmetrical gabled front with lateral round-headed door openings and C20 framed and boarded doors set under the original overlights with stained glass. At the centre, two very tall round-headed margin-glazed paned windows with similar ashlar voussoired arches, and similar but shorter windows over the doors. Stone bracketed cornice and timber modillion eaves to the pediment. A weathered date stone in the tympanum is illegible, but a later stone fixed between the central windows relates the history. The side elevation has two tiers of similar margin glazed and round-headed windows.
The adjoining schoolroom/vestry gable is slightly set back. The central door is blocked, but side windows and a window above the door similar to those of the chapel. Small round-headed louvred vent in the gable head and iron ventilators under the windows.
The front forecourt to the chapel and vestry/schoolroom is enclosed with cast iron railings on a coped low stone wall, the railings having circular central ring in each panel between square cast iron stanchions.
A panel-fronted gallery, probably added in 1862, extends around three sides of the chapel, rounded at the entrance end, and supported on iron columns. Moulded timber front with a dentilled cornice. The pulpit is raised between the two central front windows. Ceiling above the perimeter cornice has a central rose and diagonal ribs extending out to parallel side ribs, and ventilators at the intersecting corners. Four tiers of seats in the gallery, which retains the clock facing the pulpit.
The schoolroom has two lateral fireplaces and stacks.
Included at Grade II* as a largely unaltered and handsome mid C19 chapel which has retained its original character both externally and internally.
Other nearby listed buildings