This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8415 / 51°50'29"N
Longitude: -3.004 / 3°0'14"W
OS Eastings: 330926
OS Northings: 216352
OS Grid: SO309163
Mapcode National: GBR F6.V1H7
Mapcode Global: VH790.WZ86
Entry Name: St Teilo's House
Listing Date: 5 February 1998
Last Amended: 5 February 1998
Source ID: 19320
Building Class: Domestic
Location: About 300m west of the Church of St Teilo.
Community: Llantilio Pertholey (Llandeilo Bertholau)
Community: Llantilio Pertholey
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A Vicarage built in 1860 and designed probably by J P Seddon, diocesan architect, although the Prichard and Seddon design dated 1858 is different and more strongly Gothic.
Squared purple/grey rockfaced sandstone rubble with yellow freestone quoins and dressings; Welsh slate roof banded in purple and grey. Two storeys and attics in typical Victorian Gothic style. A randomly planned house with many projecting gables with fretted bargeboards.
Entrance elevation of three bays. The left hand one has a large projecting stack on the side of the parlour wing. The next bay projects forward with the entrance in the return. This is a recessed plank door in a pointed arch outlined in yellow stone, no window above, but an elaborate dormer with secondary gables to the cheeks in the roof above, 2 2 casement. The main gable has paired 2 2 sashes with stone mullions on the ground floor, between them is the date panel 1860. Above this is a large 3-light window with 2 over 2 sashes with stone mullions in a yellow stone frame and with a large dripmould over. Bargeboard with pendant. The bay to the right of this has a paired sash on either floor. Ridge stack to the right. Lateral stack in angle of wing.
Garden elevation of three bays, but the entrance bay to the right has already been described. Plinth. On the left another 3-light sash as before but slightly projecting in a heavy stone frame. Above this a 2-light one rising into a fretted gable. The centre bay projects forward and has a canted bay window on the ground floor, 4-light with stone mullions and transom, 1 pane above a 1 over 1 sash to each light, fretted valance and slate roof. Above this is a paired 2 over 2 sash. In the gable above a single light window. Ridge stack to the left hand end.
Rear elevation has service wing to left with 8 over 8 sashes.
Interior not available at the time of resurvey (June 1997).
Included as a good and unaltered example of a Victorian vicarage, probably by Seddon.
Other nearby listed buildings