History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bilidu Calvinistic Methodist Chapel including forecourt wall and railings.

A Grade II Listed Building in Maescar (Maes-car), Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9834 / 51°59'0"N

Longitude: -3.592 / 3°35'31"W

OS Eastings: 290761

OS Northings: 232860

OS Grid: SN907328

Mapcode National: GBR YD.KCMT

Mapcode Global: VH5F6.PDDV

Entry Name: Bilidu Calvinistic Methodist Chapel including forecourt wall and railings.

Listing Date: 17 February 1998

Last Amended: 28 October 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19375

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: In the village of Pentre-bach 4km N of Sennybridge. On rising ground to W of village centre.

County: Powys

Town: Brecon

Community: Maescar (Maes-car)

Community: Maescar

Locality: Pentre-bach

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Pentre-b√Ęch

History

Calvinistic Methodist chapel of 1800, rebuilt in 1868. The building retains the long-wall facade of the chapels of the early C19, though may be 1868, with the small stable and vestry added. Chapel is now in the care of the Welsh Historic Religious Buildings Trust.

Exterior

Chapel, whitewashed rubble stone with slate flat-eaved roof overhanging at right end gable. The roof covers the chapel and a small stable with loft over to left. Facade has two big centre arched windows with stone sills, stone voussoirs and small-paned glazing with radiating bars in heads. A round-headed plaque between reads: 'Bilidu Capel Methodistiaidd Calfinaidd Adeiladwd 1800 Ail Adeiladwd 1868'. Outer doors have tall arched heads with stone voussoirs and blank tympana. The doors are 4-panel. Right end wall has similar arched window with radiating glazing bars in head and stone voussoirs. Rear has two cambered headed 12-pane hornless sashes with stone sills.
To left of chapel are outside stone steps to a boarded loft door with 9-pane hopper window to left. Beyond steps is a ground floor doorway with stone voussoirs to cambered head and board door.
Attached to front wall are low rubble curving walls with iron railings with spearhead finials and centre double gates with dog-bars.

Interior

Simple interior without galleries. Modern ceiling. Painted grained matching woodwork throughout: panelled box pews stepped back in five steps, with ramped ends and divisions; panelled curved great seat, panelled pulpit with plain steps up on right, the pulpit panelled with canted angles and moulded cornice, flanked by box pew each side facing forward with ramped ends.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its special historic interest as a simple rural chapel retaining painted grained woodwork within.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.