This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7116 / 51°42'41"N
Longitude: -4.0681 / 4°4'5"W
OS Eastings: 257215
OS Northings: 203454
OS Grid: SN572034
Mapcode National: GBR GV.Q91J
Mapcode Global: VH4JV.F7RQ
Entry Name: Hen Gapel (also known as Tynewedd Chapel)
Listing Date: 2 March 1998
Last Amended: 2 March 1998
Source ID: 19454
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in a walled and gated burial ground, overlooking the Loughor valley, on the S side of the minor road which leads W off the B4306.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The first Independent chapel on the site was raised after David Penry of Plas Llanedi became minister in 1688. Possibly in 1772 a new chapel was built, during the ministry of David Thomas. This C18 chapel had its facade on the long wall: a balanced front with centre windows flanked by entrance doors on either side and upper gallery lights at either end. The chapel was later extensively altered in the late C19 early C20, when the old side entrances and gallery windows were blocked, new doorways created in both gable ends, and the interior remodelled. However, the old internal layout with centre pulpit survives and today the chapel still retains its lateral facade.
Rendered stone, slate roof. N gable has small bellcote (without bell), pointed arched window, 4-pane with Y-tracery to upper gallery; below, pointed arched entrance doorway with ledged and braced double doors. In upper gable wall, small incised stone plaque reads ‘This chapel was built 1712 or 1772’. W front has central pair of big 6-pane windows, each with a small inset opening light; the 3 top panes in each window have semi-circular heads, the middle pane being slightly taller; cambered window heads and stone sills. To left and right, smaller 6-pane windows with flat heads and stone sills. S gable has pointed doorway and window, similar to N end. E side plain, except for two 4-pane horned sashes in upper wall at either end.
Plain rafter roof, floored at collar and with square ceiling ventilator. Pulpit in centre of long wall with raked gallery on 3 sides opposite. Gallery reached from small entrance lobbies at either end, each with quarter-turn stair and landing. Gallery front of varnished pine; lower panels close-boarded with smaller plain panels above. Close-boarded pews with sharped ends, centre single black has additional angled pews to side l and r, with 2 more blocks either side of the pulpit. Pulpit has curved front, centre breaks forward with acorn finials at the angles; stairs either side have turned balusters and chamfered newels, also with acorn finials. Wall painting of open prayer book and flowers on upper wall behind pulpit.
Listed as an early chapel of special interest which, although extensively altered, still retains much of its C18 character and form.
Other nearby listed buildings