History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Park Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan), Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6383 / 52°38'17"N

Longitude: -3.1135 / 3°6'48"W

OS Eastings: 324748

OS Northings: 305090

OS Grid: SJ247050

Mapcode National: GBR B1.6XVB

Mapcode Global: WH79Q.4YN8

Entry Name: Park Cottage

Listing Date: 20 March 1998

Last Amended: 20 March 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19502

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located approximately 1.0km SSE of Leighton church on the N side of a minor road E of Leighton Farm and situated at the foot of a woodland plantation.

County: Powys

Town: Forden

Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan)

Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan

Locality: Leighton

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Welshpool

History

Built 1860s as a summer house and slightly later than the Old Cable House with which it forms a visual group. Park Cottage was part of the Leighton Estate, acquired by the Liverpool banker John Naylor in 1846-47. Here he embarked on an ambitious programme of building, principally Leighton Hall, church and Farm, which was largely completed by the mid 1850s. He continued to extend and improve the Estate until his death in 1889. His grandson, Captain J.M. Naylor, sold the Estate in 1931. The cottage stands close to the funicular railway, at the top of which was a second summer house.

Exterior

One-and-a-half storey house in a style characteristic of the estate, consisting of a main range symmetrically arranged with a centrally-placed cross-gable to the front. Of brick with rock-faced stone quoins and coped gables with fleur-de-lys finials. Banded slate roof with crested ridge and paired axial stacks of brick with stone quoins. The 3-window front has 12-pane sashes under cambered lintels in the main range and in the cross-gable a canted bay with ashlar surround which has similar sash window. Above it is a round-headed sash window, flanked in the outer bays by half-dormers on corbels with sash windows under cambered lintels. (To R of the cross-gable is an added porch.) The side walls have 12-pane sashes in the lower storey. (The R side wall has an added single-storey wing with details similar to the original. To the rear is a late C20 wing.)

Interior

Not inspected (November-December 1996).

Reasons for Listing

The Leighton Estate is an exceptional example of high-Victorian estate development. It is remarkable for the scale and ambition of its conception and planning, the consistency of its design, the extent of its survival, and is the most complete example of its type in Wales. Park Cottage is an important element of this whole ensemble at Leighton. It forms part of a strong visual group with the Old Cable House and retains good original detail characteristic of the Leighton Estate.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II The Old Cable House
    Located approximately 1.0km SE of Leighton church and 0.5km E of Leighton Farm, on N side of an unmetalled road and at the foot of Moel y Mab. The tower and part of the vaulted tunnel are in the gard
  • II Brook House
    Located approximately 1.0km SSE of Leighton church beneath Moel y Mab and situated on N side of an unmetalled track E of Leighton Farm. The house stands in a depression below the road.
  • II Bridge South East of Old Cable House
    Located approximately 0.5km E of Leighton Farm on the S side of a private forest road E of Leighton Farm at the foot of a woodland plantation. The bridge is SE of the Old Cable House. It spans a sto
  • II Brook House Tank
    On N side and in garden of Brook House, and built on sloping ground.
  • II Leat to Park Pool
    Located approximately 1.0km SE of Leighton church and situated in a woodland plantation on the S side of a forest road. The leat extends from Hollybush Cottage to the E to a footbridge immediately E
  • II Park House
    Located approximately 1.1km SSE of Leighton church and situated S of a minor road E of Leighton Farm.
  • II Upper Cable House
    Located approximately 1km SE of Leighton church and reached by a path S of Leighton House.
  • II Hillcrest
    Located on Moel y Mab approximately 0.9km SE of Leighton church, immediately S of a former Slurry Tank, and reached by private road W of a minor road between Leighton and Trelystan.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.