This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6446 / 52°38'40"N
Longitude: -3.1243 / 3°7'27"W
OS Eastings: 324026
OS Northings: 305800
OS Grid: SJ240058
Mapcode National: GBR B1.6FGQ
Mapcode Global: WH79P.ZSDG
Entry Name: The White House
Listing Date: 20 March 1998
Last Amended: 20 March 1998
Source ID: 19505
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located approximately 0.3km SW of Leighton church and reached by a short drive on E side of B4388.
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan)
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Mid C19 and possibly built for an estate manager. Part of the Leighton Estate, acquired by John Naylor 1846-47. Naylor subsequently embarked on an ambitious programme of building, which included Leighton Farm and dwellings for estate employees, which was largely completed in the mid 1850s. He continued to extend and improve the Estate until his death in 1889. His grandson, Captain J.M. Naylor, sold the Estate in 1931.
Two-storey house with attic consisting of a main range with cross-gables to front and rear, forming a T-plan, a porch in the angle to front, a lower 2-storey wing set back to R, and a single-storey rear wing with attic behind the rear cross-gable. Of brick painted white, slate roof (with skylights behind), with end brick stacks to main range and rear cross-gable and to R of wing to R. Fenestration consists of small-pane sash windows with margin glazing, mostly beneath wedge lintels. In the cross-gable to front is a tripartite window in the lower storey and large 16-pane window in the upper storey, with a smaller window under a round head in the gable. The porch to L has a 4-panel door beneath a round-headed overlight which has moulded imposts and keystone. To the L and in the L side wall are tall windows incorporating casements. The porch has a parapet of iron railings and a balcony above reached by a French window in the main range. The cross-gable to front also has a small round-headed window in its side wall. In the L gable end of the main range are a small round-headed window in the gable and a small window to L in the lower storey. The wing to R has a door with full-height glazing in the lower storey and a sash window above. Behind the R wing is a lean-to. The rear wing has wooden casement windows.
Not inspected (November 1996).
The Leighton Estate is an exceptional example of high-Victorian estate development. It is remarkable for the scale and ambition of its conception and planning, the consistency of its design, the extent of its survival, and is the most complete example of its type in Wales. The White House is an important element of this whole ensemble at Leighton. It is a large and prominent house in the estate style, retaining much of its early detail.
Other nearby listed buildings