History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Kennels at Greystones

A Grade II Listed Building in Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan), Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.631 / 52°37'51"N

Longitude: -3.121 / 3°7'15"W

OS Eastings: 324223

OS Northings: 304289

OS Grid: SJ242042

Mapcode National: GBR B1.789J

Mapcode Global: WH79X.1429

Entry Name: Former Kennels at Greystones

Listing Date: 20 March 1998

Last Amended: 20 March 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19537

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located approximately 1.7km S of Leighton church, on S side of a minor road E of B4388. The kennels stand SE of Greystones and is built against a boundary wall to the E.

County: Powys

Town: Forden

Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan)

Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan

Locality: Leighton Park

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Forden

History

Built 1860s or 1870s probably by the Liverpool architect W.H. Gee, and designed as part of a visual group with the nearby Leighton Hall Stables. The kennels was an integral part of the Leighton Estate, acquired by Naylor in 1846-47, who then embarked on an ambitious programme of building, principally Leighton Hall, church and Farm, which was largely completed by the mid 1850s. He continued to extend and improve the Estate until his death in 1889. His grandson, Captain J.M. Naylor, sold the Estate in 1931. The former kennels has been used as a shed and garage since the building of Greystones c1980.

Exterior

Consisting of a single-storey range with central cross-gable. Of a purple-coloured brick with rock-faced dressings, coped gables on moulded kneelers, and slate roof. The gables have fleur de lys finials incorporating John Naylor's monogram (ICN) in relief. On the ridge are 3 polygonal lead vents (now boarded) with swept roofs. The cross-gable has a doorway with rock-faced lintel, and a boarded overlight but no door. In the attic is a small sash window in a stone surround. To R of cross-gable are 2 doorways similar to that of cross-gable, which have boarded doors incorporating small hatches, and overlights. To L of cross-gable is one similar door (and an inserted projection for garage). The gable ends have attic windows similar to cross-gable (L gable also has integral lean-to with modern openings). To the rear are 5 windows with small sashes above a rubble stone boundary wall. (A brick S wing is a lean-to against the boundary wall. It has 2 doorways with stone surrounds to the front, and 2 sash windows to the rear, but is otherwise mostly rebuilt.)

Interior

Not accessible at the time of inspection (November 1996 to January 1997).

Reasons for Listing

The Leighton Estate is an exceptional example of high-Victorian estate development. It is remarkable for the scale and ambition of its conception and planning, the consistency of its design, the extent of its survival, and is the most complete example of its type in Wales. The former Kennels at Greystones is an important element of this whole ensemble at Leighton. Notwithstanding alterations, it retains original character and gothic detailing typical of the Leighton Estate, and is part of an important visual group including Leighton Hall Stables.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Leighton Hall Stables
    Located approximately 1.6km S of Leighton church and situated on the N side of a minor road E of the B4388 Leighton to Forden road. Set diagonally in open ground.
  • II Bothy Garden
    Located approximately 0.3km SE of Leighton Hall and on the E side of a track N of Leighton Hall Stables. The N wall is a dividing wall between the garden and The Bothy.
  • II Boundary wall S of Leighton Hall Tower
    Situated S of Leighton Hall Tower and forming W side of a terrace walk and E side of a now disused service road.
  • II Wall attached to Library Garden wall at Leighton Hall
    Situated S of library garden on S side of Leighton Hall and forming the W side of a private road immediately S of Leighton Hall Tower. The wall is continuous with the wall of the library garden and i
  • II Back Lodge
    Located approximately 1.6km S of Leighton church, on the E side of the B4388 at its junction with a minor road.
  • II Pine Lodge
    Located approximately 1.9km S of Leighton church at the edge of a woodland plantation.
  • II Terrace Walk S of Leighton Hall Tower
    Situated on SE side of Leighton Hall Tower, with the main gardens to E and N, and with a boundary wall immediately to W, beyond which is a service road and the library garden.
  • II Library Garden, Leighton Hall
    Located immediately S of library wing of Leighton Hall. The wall on S side of garden is the boundary with Tudor Croft.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.