History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1 and 2 Moel y Mab

A Grade II Listed Building in Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan), Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6434 / 52°38'36"N

Longitude: -3.1137 / 3°6'49"W

OS Eastings: 324739

OS Northings: 305654

OS Grid: SJ247056

Mapcode National: GBR B1.6J32

Mapcode Global: WH79Q.4TJC

Entry Name: 1 and 2 Moel y Mab

Listing Date: 20 March 1998

Last Amended: 20 March 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19552

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Approximately 0.6km SE of Leighton church at the foot of Moel y Mab. The house overlooks the Severn Valley and reached by a private road on the W side of a minor road between Leighton and Trelystan.

County: Powys

Town: Forden

Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan)

Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan

Locality: Moel y Mab

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Welshpool

History

A house of early C18 (a dormer is dated 1720) which was enlarged and divided into 2 dwellings in the latter half of the C19, probably as cottages for estate workers. The earlier house probably comprises the 2 units of 2 Moel y Mab (to which a lean-to was added when the building was divided), which has a slightly lower roof line. 1 Moel y Mab was added or enlarged with an outshut to the rear C19. C19 modifications were undertaken as part of the Leighton Estate, which had been acquired by John Naylor, a Liverpool banker, in 1846-47. Naylor embarked on an ambitious programme of building, notably Leighton Hall, church and Leighton Farm, all designed by WH Gee and largely completed by the mid 1850s. Naylor continued to extend and improve the Estate until his death in 1889, during which time he built a number of labourers’ dwellings. Naylor’s grandson, Captain J.M. Naylor, sold Leighton Hall and the Estate in 1931.

Exterior

One-and-a-half storeys, of random rubble with brick dressings, renewed slate roof. Two-stage brick stacks to L of centre and to R. Three-window front with dormers to L and R having 2-light round-headed mullioned windows, while dormer in centre is timber-framed with 2-light casement, and has 1720 carved in relief on the tie beam. Fretted barge boards with pendant finials to dormers, and to plain centrally-placed porch of brick. Ground floor has 2-light round-headed mullioned windows with brick hood moulds.

1 Moel y Mab occupies unit to L. It is entered from L side wall which has a doorway to R in brick surround. Casement windows under flat arches and with hood moulds in centre and in attic. A third, similar window is beneath the apex of the roof (and is now blocked). The gable has fretted barge boards. Outshut to rear of random rubble. 2 Moel y Mab occupies units to centre and to R. The gable to R is of brick and has fretted barge boards. Brick lean-to at the rear with 2 timber-framed dormers, with 2-light casements and barge boards similar to front.

Interior

Not inspected (November 1996).

Reasons for Listing

A good example of an estate worker's cottage with earlier origins, where an earlier vernacular building was modified in the context of C19 estate development. 1 and 2 Moel y Mab are an integral part of the Leighton Estate, an exceptional example of high-Victorian estate development. It is remarkable for the scale and ambition of its conception and planning, the consistency of its design, the extent of its survival, and is the most complete example of its type in Wales.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Slurry Tank
    Situated at the top of Moel y Mab approximately 0.9km SE of Leighton church and reached by private road W of a minor road between Leighton and Trelystan.
  • II Hillcrest
    Located on Moel y Mab approximately 0.9km SE of Leighton church, immediately S of a former Slurry Tank, and reached by private road W of a minor road between Leighton and Trelystan.
  • II Beechview
    Located on Moel y Mab approximately 0.9km SE of Leighton church, immediately S of a former Slurry Tank, and reached by private road W of a minor road between Leighton and Trelystan.
  • II Pentre Farm
    Located approximately 0.5km E of Leighton church on N side of a minor road between Leighton and Trelystan and W side of a junction with a private road to Pentre Mill.
  • II Pentre House
    Located on SE side of Leighton church, prominently sited in a terraced garden, and reached by private road on E side of Church Lodge.
  • II Pentre Farm Byre and Cart Shed
    Located approximately 0.5km E of Leighton church on N side of a minor road between Leighton and Trelystan. On NW side of Pentre Farm with farmyard on S side and farm buildings to N and house to SE.
  • II Upper Cable House
    Located approximately 1km SE of Leighton church and reached by a path S of Leighton House.
  • II Church Lodge
    Located at the N entrance to Leighton Farm, on S side of a minor road between Leighton and Trelystan, and beside a gated driveway immediately E of Leighton church.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.