This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.629 / 52°37'44"N
Longitude: -3.1413 / 3°8'28"W
OS Eastings: 322845
OS Northings: 304086
OS Grid: SJ228040
Mapcode National: GBR B0.7H81
Mapcode Global: WH79W.Q5BV
Entry Name: Cil-cewydd Corn Mill
Listing Date: 20 March 1998
Last Amended: 20 March 1998
Source ID: 19557
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located on the E bank of the River Severn, below the causewayed approach of the A490 to the Severn Bridge, and alongside the main Cambrian (Shrewsbury to West Coast) railway line.
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan)
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The main corn mill for the Leighton Estate; John Naylor, a Liverpool banker, had aquired the Leighton Estate in 1846-47 and embarked on an ambitious programme of building, notably Leighton Hall, church and Leighton Farm. The Estate was extended and improved until Naylor's death in 1889, becoming a remarkable example of high-Victorian estate development. The mill was built in two phases, the main block in 1862 (date on hopper head), the 2nd in 1868, in an identical style. In the 1930's it became a creamery, and now functions as a vehicle bodywork repair shop, and for vehicle maintenance and sales. The wide headrace which drove the water turbines, at the N end is now largely dry.
Built of brick laid in English bond, with hammer pitched and margin dressed locally obtained siltstone dressings. Flat roof (formerly pitched), behind a brick parapet. The building is of five storeys, comprising the earlier N-S block of 6 bays, and the later lower rear wing, also of 6 window bays with slate roofs. The main door is in the E bay of the main block; a round-headed opening with stepped and coursed hammer dressed voussoirs. The windows throughout are segmentally headed, with rock faced stepped heads, and contain 15-pane iron lights, the centre 4 pivot hung. The gable ends have loading doors on each floor, some openings later widened, and a steel hoist arm at high level. Above the 5th floor, a heavy dentilled cornice with a hammer dressed frieze, above which rises a brick parapet. This parapet has been raised at the SE end by 2m to conceal enclosed roof tanks. The added rear block, set alongside the railway line and a dry watercourse, consists of two parallel roofs forming twin gables at the N end. The re-entrant angle between the two ranges is now built up with various lightweight cover buildings.
Externally, the original circular iron wagon turntable survives close to the E side of the main block.
Ground floor of concrete with access traps to the two late C19 MacAdam turbines below, the floors connected by a fireproof spiral stair. These are the only original mill fittings to survive, the horizontally set turbines are said to have bearings floated in mercury. The turbines, made in Belfast may be the only surviving examples of the 'improved' Macadam type. The rear added block has cast iron reinforced roof trusses, and heavy central stanchions.
The Leighton Estate is an exceptional example of high-Victorian estate development. It is remarkable for the size and ambition of its conception and planning, the consistency of its design, the extent of its survival, and is the most complete example of its type in Wales. The mill is not only an imposing and well designed industrial building, but also one of the key essential buildings of the economic development of the Estate. Three small buildings, the Office, Weighhouse and present WC complete the group of buildings of architectural and historic interest associated with the mill.
Other nearby listed buildings