This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9549 / 52°57'17"N
Longitude: -4.0671 / 4°4'1"W
OS Eastings: 261230
OS Northings: 341726
OS Grid: SH612417
Mapcode National: GBR 5S.KVXZ
Mapcode Global: WH55F.HZHK
Entry Name: War Memorial
Listing Date: 14 May 1998
Last Amended: 14 May 1998
Source ID: 19792
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Prominently sited at the cross-roads in the centre of the village; on a raised platform with semi-circular rubble enclosing walls and iron gates and railings to the road side, terminating in cylindric
Traditional County: Merionethshire
War memorial. Designed in 1922 by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis, architect, to commemorate those of his Plas Brondanw estate and village lost in the First World War; subsequently adapted to incorporate the names of those who also fell in the Second World War, which included his son Lt. Christopher Williams-Ellis of the Welsh Guards.
This building is on the site of Clough's proposed St Brothen's Hall of 1911 which was never executed. He gave the land and paid part of the construction costs.
Two-and-a-half storeyed tower of coursed, squared stone; square plan, the walls tapering slightly towards a staged top. Sloped pyramidal stone roof with staged top and applied bronze swags to each face. The tower is surmounted by a flaming urn finial of reconstituted stone. Plain, square-headed openings to each face on 3 levels. Of those to the ground floor, that to the L (SW) contains a standing metal memorial tablet to those lost in the Second World War, whilst that to the R (NE) has a similar tablet commemorating those lost in the Great War.
Graded II* as an unusually striking war memorial by a nationally important architect.
Group value with other listed items in Garreg.
Other nearby listed buildings