This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9602 / 52°57'36"N
Longitude: -4.0611 / 4°3'39"W
OS Eastings: 261653
OS Northings: 342297
OS Grid: SH616422
Mapcode National: GBR 5S.KHZJ
Mapcode Global: WH55F.LVCK
Entry Name: Plas Brondanw Cottages
Listing Date: 18 July 1990
Last Amended: 14 May 1998
Source ID: 19804
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated immediately to NE of Plas Brondanw to which it is linked by gate-piers; set end on to the slope with NW elevation overlooking terraced gardens.
Locality: Plas Brondanw
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Rectangular gabled block, formerly part of the unit-planned Plas Brondanw complex and now three cottages. The house was long in the posession of the Williams family; William Williams of Plas Brondanw (d.1778) was 'the first to introduce sea banks to this part of Wales.' The house was inherited in 1908 by the renowned architect and conservationist (Sir) Clough Williams-Ellis, (creator of Portmeirion) and henceforth became his home. Together with his wife Amabel (Strachey) he laid out the important gardens and, over a number of decades erected or remodelled numerous buildings, follies and features around the Brondanw estate and the village of Garreg. This block, apparently always detatched from the main house, was altered in the late C19 and again in the C20 by Clough Williams-Ellis.
The interior was not inspected at the time of survey.
Listed as part of the important Plas Brondanw complex, the home of the celebrated architect and conservationist Sir Clough Williams-Ellis.
Group value with other listed items at Plas Brondanw.
Other nearby listed buildings