This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.726 / 51°43'33"N
Longitude: -5.1132 / 5°6'47"W
OS Eastings: 185087
OS Northings: 207614
OS Grid: SM850076
Mapcode National: GBR G4.FH5H
Mapcode Global: VH1RQ.BW68
Entry Name: Sandy Haven House
Listing Date: 25 August 1998
Last Amended: 25 August 1998
Source ID: 20351
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated just S of Sandy Haven Farm some 450m NW of Sandy Haven.
Community: St. Ishmael's (Llanisan-yn-Rhos)
Community: St. Ishmael's
Locality: Sandy Haven
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Substantial C17 house probably of earlier origins, perhaps late medieval: see the stone vault in the SE wing that may once have had a first floor hall above. The main range is probably earlier C17 running N-S with NE stair tower, but it is possible that the S end is earlier, raised, and extended to N in earlier C17. A stair at the N end replaced the stone spiral stair in the NE stair tower, and may be contemporary with the NW parlour wing which has a late C17 or early C18 panelled room. A lower farmhouse wing running S from the main range was probably added in the C18.
Owned by William Rhys, High Sheriff in 1557. In early C17 owned by Button family, Admiral Sir Thomas Button (d 1634) may have been the initiator of the C17 work. In 1641 Miles Button of Cotterell, Glam. leased the house to Thomas Stepney (d 1669), whose son was Sir John Stepney Bt. The house was tenanted by the Cozens family from the later C18, when it was owned by Lord Cawdor, who sold it in 1802. On the St Ishmaels Tithe Map of 1839, Sandy Haven was shown as a holding of 348 acres (141 hectares) owned by Thomas Lloyd Esq. and occupied by William Cozens. In the later C19 owned by a branch of the Philipps of Picton.
Substantial farmhouse, former gentry house. Roughcast rubble stone originally, surviving at NE and NW, C20 unpainted cement render extensively on SE and SW parts. Imitation slates to roofs. Complex additive plan. The main range runs N-S, and is a tall narrow three storey and attic block with coped N and S gables and apex small chimneys. There are large roughcast wallface chimneys near-central to both E and W sides. That on the E is a large bifurcated stack at junction with SE wing. To right is a projecting NE gabled stairtower with apex stack. The SE wing has coped E gable and apex stack. On S side it has the main entry, a rubble stone arched opening to recessed porch. Small window right, and large 12-pane sash above. To left, the end of the main range has battlements on E side, between the chimney and SE angle, and tall one-window S elevation. Attic ovolo-moulded stone-mullion 2-light window with dripstone, centre mullion missing. This is immediately over 2nd floor large 12-pane sash. 12-pane sash to first and ground floors. S farmhouse range (see below) is attached to SW angle of main range. On main range, NE stair tower has one C20 window to ground floor and one similar to 2nd floor, E end, and one to first floor on N return. Main range N end has similar C20 windows (2-light timber mullion with concrete lintels), 3 vertically on left side, one on right, but gable has original stone mullioned 2-light with hoodmould.
W side of main range has massive central side-wall stack, roughcast and corniced, on roof slope with outshut to right and broad gabled projecting NW wing to left. Outshut is plain and rendered and runs into roof of added S range (see below). NW wing is C17 with coped W gable, apex small stack and large S side-wall stack with battered chimneybreast and tall rubble stack. W end C20 large first floor mullion and transom 3-light timber window with concrete lintel, ground floor 12-pane sash, similar large C20 window on N side. Narrow outshut to left in angle to main range, NW wing has 2-storey lean-to on S side continued W of W gable to finish in an asymmetrical gable. W end first floor 12-pane sash and ground floor C20 window, small window each floor in short N return.
Long S wing is probably C18 but may be older. 2-storey, with 2 roughcast ridge stacks and massive S end outside stack, the top rubble stone and square. E front has 12-pane horned sashes, 3-window range with centre door to right, one-window range to left and lean-to porch to extreme left, with door facing N, similar sashes E and S. S end has sash first floor right, wall flush with chimney, but wall to left of chimney is set back showing scale of the chimney, with long slate-roofed lean-to against chimney W side. Rear W has centre large C20 flat-roofed addition up against a NW stair gable with 12-pane sash and dripstone above (S slope of gable has been raised and built into C20 addition). Lean-to porch to left, between stair gable and lean-to on C17 NW wing.
Not available for inspection. Said to have been extensively modernised. The S end room had an old fireplace, since replaced, the adjacent room to N has closely spaced squared joists. Stair-hall to N and one room further N, this with an arched recess in N wall and panelled C18 cupboard in W wall. Archway to E leads to what may have been the original entry. Whitewashed rubble stone barrel-vault to ground floor of SE wing which was latterly a dairy. S doorway with rubble 4-centred arched head. Stair removed from NE stair turret possibly in C17 and replaced by one in N end of main range, since also replaced. Panelled parlour in NW wing, of c1700, bolection-moulded fielded long panels and frieze of narrow panels above. Moulded dado rail. At right end of S wall an arched doorway with double panelled doors and at left end a panelled recess. C19 fireplace between. Modern roof to main range, four collar trusses with notched lapped collars over NW wing, chamfered on undersides.
Listed at Grade II* as a rare example in the region of a late medieval or C16 tower house, extended in the C17.
Other nearby listed buildings