This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.073 / 53°4'22"N
Longitude: -4.3006 / 4°18'2"W
OS Eastings: 245972
OS Northings: 355332
OS Grid: SH459553
Mapcode National: GBR 5G.BKSC
Mapcode Global: WH43S.X191
Entry Name: Cascade at Glynllifon
Listing Date: 8 September 1998
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 20474
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Facing the main east vista approximately 300m from the house on the south side of the Afon Llifon dingle at the point where it turns north-eastwards.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Probably part of the 2nd Lord Newborough's many improvements to the pleasure grounds in 1820's which are especially interesting for their water features.
Glynllifon was the seat of the Wynn family and Sir Thomas John Wynn became the 1st Lord Newborough in 1776. The house was rebuilt after a fire 1836-48 by Edward Haycock, architect of Shrewsbury. Influence for some of the garden features came from the family’s grand tours.
Runs down the hillside towards the Afon Llifon, fed by a reservoir on the hill towards Fort Williamsburg. One of the many water features at Glynllifon, this one also supplied the grand fountain on the opposite side of the river at the eastern end of the Coed y Terrace vista. Although the fountain is now operating again the cascade no longer functions.
At the top is a square structure with pointed arch and to its west the cascase steps down to a succession of five levels each with rubble walled sides. Culverted under one of the woodland paths. At the base is a square coursed rubble structure with semicircular arched recess to the front. It was possible to walk behind the water cascading over the top down into a small fountain pool and on down to the Llifon. At the top is a leat running west towards the Mill Folly Grotto.
Listed for its special interest as a distinctive C19 garden feature within this exceptionally fine context.
Other nearby listed buildings