History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cromlech

A Grade II Listed Building in Llandwrog, Gwynedd

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0717 / 53°4'18"N

Longitude: -4.3044 / 4°18'15"W

OS Eastings: 245712

OS Northings: 355200

OS Grid: SH457552

Mapcode National: GBR 5G.BJW0

Mapcode Global: WH43S.V2G0

Entry Name: Cromlech

Listing Date: 8 September 1998

Last Amended: 30 September 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20497

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Set in a rectangular hollow beside the drive through the plantations approximately 270m south of the house.

County: Gwynedd

Community: Llandwrog

Community: Llandwrog

Locality: Glynllifon

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Llandwrog

History

Said to have been erected by 2nd Lord Newborough and therefore before 1832 but is more likely to be the work of F G Wynn c1900. It was built as a mock druidical sanctuary.

Glynllifon was the seat of the Wynn family and Sir Thomas John Wynn became the 1st Lord Newborough in 1776. The house was rebuilt after a fire 1836-48 by Edward Haycock, architect of Shrewsbury.

Exterior

Miniature cromlech of standard type of capstone carried on three monoliths. There was also formerly a tall standing stone to the side but this has now fallen over. Basin within the cromlech.

Reasons for Listing

Included as one of the more unusual features within this especially fine C19 park at Glynllifon.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.