History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Long Hook Fawr Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Puncheston, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9167 / 51°54'59"N

Longitude: -4.9015 / 4°54'5"W

OS Eastings: 200552

OS Northings: 228215

OS Grid: SN005282

Mapcode National: GBR CN.PJVJ

Mapcode Global: VH1R2.0340

Entry Name: Long Hook Fawr Farmhouse

Listing Date: 30 September 1998

Last Amended: 7 March 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20521

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: About 1.5km S of Puncheston, reached from the S by long lane off minor road. Surrounded by later farm buildings, behind small walled front garden.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Haverfordwest

Community: Puncheston (Cas-mael)

Community: Puncheston

Locality: Castlebythe

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Spittal

History

Earlier C19 farmhouse of late Georgian character. Longhook was a part of the Perrott estate in the C17, leased in 1625 to John Symyns of Martel and in 1677 to Thomas Harding of Castlebythe. Sold in the C18 to William Knox of Llanstinan and part of the Llanstinan estate through the C19. Leased in 1786 to William Myles and in 1831 to George Miles. Variously called Upper Longhook, Longhook Fawr and Great Longhook. Abandoned in C20 in favour of new farmhouse nearby.

Exterior

Farmhouse, whitewashed roughcast with corrugated asbestos roof cladding and originally with stone end-wall stacks, the larger stack to left removed in late C20. Two storeys, three-window range offset to right. First floor has two 4-pane sashes and one 9-pane hornless sash, all small, ground floor has 4-pane sash to left, 12-pane hornless sash to right and boarded door between in C20 porch. Timber lintel over door collapsed 2002. Outshut rear. Left end wall has set-off at mid height, indicating that lower range to left is added. This has slate roof with bituminous coating and various rear additions. Left end wall and corner are rebuilt in blockwork and brick. A wing coming forward at right angles has been removed since 1998 exposing rubble stone walling. One window each floor to right, 4-pane above, 9-pane below. Front enclosed by colourwashed rendered low wall with iron gate.

Interior

Interior not available for inspection at resurvey. The September 1998 listing describes central hallway with wooden stair, C19 sawn timber joists, mid to later C19 doors and door surrounds. Fireplaces blocked.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a farmhouse in the regional late Georgian style, with offset facade to allow for large kitchen chimney, retaining much of its original character.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II White Hart
    Situated near the centre of Puncheston, on the SW corner of the road junction just W of the Church of Saint Mary.
  • II Ty Newydd
    Situated near the centre of Puncheston on the N side of the main street through the village.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.