This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1637 / 53°9'49"N
Longitude: -4.3575 / 4°21'27"W
OS Eastings: 242490
OS Northings: 365554
OS Grid: SH424655
Mapcode National: GBR 5D.4PZ8
Mapcode Global: WH436.1Q8Z
Entry Name: Ebeneser Chapel house and Sunday school
Listing Date: 19 October 1998
Last Amended: 19 October 1998
Source ID: 20556
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Set back slightly from the SW side of the A4080, Chapel Street, within walled grounds, at the SE end of the village of Newborough.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Built-Up Area: Newborough
Traditional County: Anglesey
Probably mid C19, contemporary with the adjacent chapel, built 1860.
The chapel house comprises a 2-storey, 3-window range with added single window block at right (N) end; the school rooms to the rear comprises a 2-bay rectangular block with single window wing advanced at SE corner. The chapel house is built of rubble masonry with widely slobbered mortar and slate dressings. Slate roof with tiled ridge and copings; rectangular yellow brick gable stacks with stressed caps. Main part a 3-window range with openings offset to right; windows are slightly recessed hornless sashes with margin panes, central boarded door with rectangular fanlight over, ground floor openings with narrow slate lintels. The S gable return has a similarly detailed ground floor window towards the rear. The single window addition is set back slightly from the main part; similarly detailed, but windows are 6-pane horned sashes, the first floor window in a gabled half dormer. The schoolrooms to the rear of the chapel house have rendered elevations; slate roof with projecting verges and rectangular yellow brick gable stacks. Windows are slightly recessed tall 12-pane horned sashes; entrance is through a square-headed doorway in the S wall. To the front of the chapel house the garden is enclosed by a low wall of Penmaenmawr granite rubble with roughly dressed coping; a single gate in front of the doorway with square granite piers with rendered caps. The gate has alternating short and tall vertical rails, with spearhead finials; cross rails between the lock and bottom rails. A similarly detailed gateway between the chapel and chapel house wall contains wider double gates.
Listed as a good example of a C19 vernacular chapel house with schoolrooms to the rear which forms part of a coherent group with the adjacent Ebeneser chapel.
Other nearby listed buildings