This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.548 / 51°32'52"N
Longitude: -3.6058 / 3°36'20"W
OS Eastings: 288752
OS Northings: 184461
OS Grid: SS887844
Mapcode National: GBR HC.FMQL
Mapcode Global: VH5HB.GC43
Entry Name: 1-26 Park Terrace (consec)
Listing Date: 9 November 1998
Last Amended: 9 November 1998
Source ID: 20789
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the extreme NW corner of the community adjoining open land to W and NW of former Tondu Ironworks.
Built-Up Area: Sarn
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Terraced housing built for the ironworkers to replace the early temporary wooden huts and known as company houses, the rent deducted from workers' wages. Constructed near the works, which were in operation day and night, in 1856 (dated at number 28) and thus shortly after John Brogden and Son took over the Ironworks in 1854 from Sir Robert Price who had established them in the 1830s.
One of a double row of terraced housing facing each other across pavements, road and a narrow green. Houses built in pairs with a door to side, one window above and one to ground floor, shared central stack and roofline, with the steps in roofline necessary to accommodate the rising ground occurring between pairs. Built of snecked roughly dressed ironstone, each opening bordered by large stones with massive single lintels, some brick to stacks; originally Welsh slate roofs though mostly now replaced with concrete tiles, blue brick ridge tiles. Windows were originally 8/8 pane sashes of which a few remain, later adaptations being some horned sashes; most glazing now late C20 PVC-U though original openings and deep sills are unaltered. Rear elevations had similar glazing and are shown on OS Map of 1875 with no rear outshuts, though these are now ubiquitous, few dividing fences between properties but a separate stone and slate WC and coal shed at end of each double plot, many of which survive in adapted form. At each terrace end except SE is a later house varying from the standard pattern.
End of terrace house added later on larger plot with no street entrance, tooled ashlar frontage and rendered side with ashlar stack; on OS map 1875 and shown there with small outshut; slightly larger and grander than the rest
Listed in spite of some alterations as substantially intact terracing from the mid C19 unencumbered by later development in the area and for the close historical association with the early development of the nearby Tondu Ironworks, founded 1836, much of which is still extant.
Other nearby listed buildings