This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8565 / 51°51'23"N
Longitude: -3.105 / 3°6'18"W
OS Eastings: 323992
OS Northings: 218119
OS Grid: SO239181
Mapcode National: GBR F2.T6FB
Mapcode Global: VH78Z.4LCP
Entry Name: Llangenny School
Listing Date: 19 November 1998
Last Amended: 19 November 1998
Source ID: 20829
Building Class: Education
Location: On SW side of church and facing the entrance to church yard. The front has a small forecourt behind a low wall; similar wall with railings to rear.
Community: The Vale of Grwyney (Cwm Grwyne)
Community: The Vale of Grwyney
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Llangenny school was built in 1847 and rebuilt in 1886 at the behest of the Doyle family of Pendarren House.
Tudor Gothic style of 3 gabled bays (the S bay lower), forming 3-window entrance front facing E. The N bay has coursed rubble at the base, otherwise the bays are of snecked sandstone with limestone dressings, and have tile roofs with crested ridges. The entrance front has a central doorway with Tudor head bearing a commemorative engraving to Andrew Doyle of Pendarren, a benefactor of the school, and a boarded door. Above the doorway is a stone slab canopy on moulded stone brackets, on top of which are battlements with a cross behind. At the upper level is a 3-light mullioned and transomed window in a dressed surround, the lintel engraved 'Rebuilt 1886', above which is a tablet carried on 2 corbels commemorating in engraved letters the building of the original school in 1847. An ashlar bellcote has a single bell inside an opening with 2-centre head, and a pyramidal roof with 3 tiers of heavy roll mouldings. The N bay to R has a 3-light mullioned and transomed window below a pronounced relieving arch, and with a tall narrow opening in the gable in a dressed surround. The S bay to L has similar gable opening, and a 3-light window with hood mould.
The 3-bay rear has openings with dressed surrounds and relieving arches, and mullioned and transomed 3-light windows, similar to the front. The N bay to L is longer and projects to the line of integral lean-to toilets against the central bay. The toilets have 2 doorways in the W wall, the lintels of which are inscribed 'boys' and 'girls' respectively. The central bay has a window above the lean-to. The N wall of the N bay has a pebble-dashed lean-to on W side, to L of which is an external stack cut down to eaves height.
A single large classroom, with ancillary rooms. Valleys of the roofs are carried on steel girders.
Listed as a good example of a Victorian village school, and for group value with other listed items around the church.
Other nearby listed buildings