This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2289 / 53°13'44"N
Longitude: -4.3656 / 4°21'56"W
OS Eastings: 242188
OS Northings: 372820
OS Grid: SH421728
Mapcode National: GBR 5D.0MYM
Mapcode Global: WH42Z.X39G
Entry Name: Cefn Llwyn
Listing Date: 23 December 1998
Last Amended: 23 December 1998
Source ID: 21073
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set back, within private grounds, from the NW side of the B4422; c500m SE of Bodrwyn and c2kms WSW of the church of St Cristiolus
County: Isle of Anglesey
Thought by the current owner to have been built in 1912 for members of the Foulkes family at Bodrwyn. The house does not appear on the Second Edition Ordnance Survey map of Anglesey, 1901, but is recorded on the 1926 Edition. The house may be the work of Joseph Owen, architect of Menai Bridge, who was County Architect at this time, and carries some of his stylistic hallmarks.
Arts and Crafts style house, 2-storey with attics, with characteristic asymmetrical form. Large grit rendering with smooth-render in the gable apexes and roughly dressed stone plinths to the bay windows and entrance wall; sandstone dressings. Roof of small green slates and red clay ridge tiles, with broadly projecting eaves with ornate scrolled iron brackets. Tall rectangular stacks, grit rendered and with brick 'corbels' to the capping, stacks are to the right (N) of each gabled bay to the front of the house with a single ridge stack to the servants' quarters to the rear; the front stacks have gabled steps at the base of the front faces. The house is planned with principal rooms to front, the entrance recessed between 2 gabled bays; half-glazed double doors with Art Nouveau-style leaded glass and floriate brackets to right, tripartite window of 3 leaded lights and chamfered mullions to left. Set in the roof above the entrance is a flat-roofed dormer of 4 small-paned lights; other windows are small-paned horned sashes. The right gabled bay has a ground floor canted bay window with shaped leaded roof up to a canted oriel above. The left gabled bay has a ground floor canted bay window, 1st floor tripartite window and a circular leaded 1st floor light to the left. The left return elevation has a tripartite window to the right and a gabled bay to the left, with similarly detailed windows to those of the right gabled bay of the front elevation; the rear elevation of the gabled bay has a large stair window of 3 rows of 4 leaded lights. The right return is abutted by a flat roofed garage block of 2 garages, each with large boarded doors; ground floor has a single window to the left and canted bay window to the right, 1st floor with tripartite window to the left and paired window to the right. To the rear of the main house is a gabled wing with entrance in a gabled porch to the N side.
The house is planned around a central hallway with principal rooms in the front block and service rooms and servants' quarters to the rear. The entrance leads into a small vestibule with cloakroom off to the left, both with a mosaic patterned floor. The hallway has a corbelled picture rail, and timbered arch over the first step of the stairs; dog-leg staircase with tapering splat balusters, some pierced with shaped motifs, and square newel posts with projecting caps. The ground floor rooms retain picture rails, the sitting room rail corbelled, and the dining room and drawing room have the original fire surrounds. The dining room fire has a wooden surround with tiled inset, the widely projecting moulded cornice on tapering Ionic columns with fluting to the heads, an oval mirror set above the corbelled mantle. The drawing room has a similarly detailed surround but with plain tapering columns. Some of the bedrooms retain original cast-iron fireplaces, some with floriate decoration. The bathroom retains original fittings and tiling and the pantry, some of the original glazed cupboards. Many of the panelled doors are original and retain their Art Nouveau style floriate handles.
Listed as an excellent example of an Arts and Crafts house which retains many original features and is enhanced by fine detailing. It is one of a notable series of homes from this period on the island, possibly the work of local architect, Joseph Owen.
Other nearby listed buildings