History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Castle Bridge (Canal Bridge No. 152)

A Grade II Listed Building in Talybont-on-Usk, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9148 / 51°54'53"N

Longitude: -3.3159 / 3°18'57"W

OS Eastings: 309588

OS Northings: 224847

OS Grid: SO095248

Mapcode National: GBR YS.PG58

Mapcode Global: VH6C6.G4WG

Entry Name: Castle Bridge (Canal Bridge No. 152)

Listing Date: 17 December 1998

Last Amended: 17 December 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21121

Building Class: Transport

Location: On S side of Pencelli village, SE of the earthworks of Castle Farm.

County: Powys

Community: Talybont-on-Usk (Tal-y-bont ar Wysg)

Community: Talybont-on-Usk

Locality: Pencelli

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Llansantffread

History

The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was promoted in 1792 to connect the upper Usk valley with the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. First section, between Gilwern and Talybont, was cut between 1797 and 1799, with upper section between Talybont and Brecon opened in 1800, both sections engineered by Thomas Dadford. Lower section between Gilwern and Pontymoile completed 1812 and engineered by William Crosley. Linked to tramroads, the canal was an important artery for trade in iron, lime and coal. In 1865 the Brecknock and Abergavenny and the Monmouthshire Canals merged to become the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal, which was later incorporated into the Great Western Railway. Many bridges had large cast iron weight restriction notices on poles erected at each end. Last toll was taken in 1933. Restoration of canal began 1964.

Exterior

Hump-back bridge of rubble sandstone. Segmental arch has thin voussoirs and low parapet with flat coping. The abutments curve outwards on both sides and the parapet has square end piers. On the E side is a cast iron plaque with the bridge number cast in relief in keystone position. The towpath passes under bridge on N side and has a stone kerb; on S side is a stringcourse roughly at water level.

Deck is a grass track. One lozenge-shaped cast iron weight restriction sign and one post. Large former quarry adjacent.

Reasons for Listing

One of a group of original Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal bridges; group value with Castle Farm and its buildings.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.