History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War memorial at Lower Cross Oak

A Grade II Listed Building in Talybont-on-Usk, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9043 / 51°54'15"N

Longitude: -3.2982 / 3°17'53"W

OS Eastings: 310781

OS Northings: 223656

OS Grid: SO107236

Mapcode National: GBR YT.Q6HF

Mapcode Global: VH6C6.SD6J

Entry Name: War memorial at Lower Cross Oak

Listing Date: 17 December 1998

Last Amended: 17 December 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21142

Building Class: Commemorative

Location: At the junction between the road from Talybont to Pencelli and the road to Aberclydach.

County: Powys

Community: Talybont-on-Usk (Tal-y-bont ar Wysg)

Community: Talybont-on-Usk

Locality: Cross Oak

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Llansantffread

History

Site of war memorial to fallen of World War I was formerly part of cottage gardens; a small railed incursion created a small recess. Opposite formerly stood a tin church built 1880 demolished 1970.

Exterior

Standing on 3 concrete steps on a stone flagged base is the pale stone memorial in the shape of a Celtic Cross, the inscription on one side of the tapered shaft and the head boldly decorated with interlace, with date 1914-1919 in centre; added inscription plaque for fallen of World War II.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a well designed monument in Celtic style, for its local importance and for group value with Lower Cross Oak Cottages.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II 3 Lower Cross Oak Cottages
    The L shaped group of cottages stands at the junction where the road between Talybont and Pencelli adjacent to the canal meets the road to Aberclydach; partly fronts a small lane linking the two road
  • II 1 Lower Cross Oak Cottages
    The L shaped group of cottages stands at a junction where the road between Talybont and Pencelli adjacent to the canal meets the road to Aberclydach; this cottage fronts a small lane linking the two r
  • II 5 Lower Cross Oak Cottages
    The L shaped group of cottages stands at the junction where the road between Talybont and Pencelli adjacent to the canal meets the road to Aberclydach.
  • II Cross Oak Bridge (Canal Bridge No.147)
    Just E of Lower Cross Oak and adjacent to Canal Cottages.
  • II Greenhill
    Near the Lower Cross Oak junction on a raised terraced site above the Talybont Pencelli road and the canal, reached by a short drive.
  • II Chilson Bridge (Canal Bridge No.146)
    N of Talybont village and SW of Gilestone.
  • II Former house and attached barn at Coity Bach
    Coity Bach is on the mountain lane leading W from the Pencelli Aberclydach road, a little NW of Talybont village.
  • II Gilestone
    On low lying ground in the Usk Valley, N of Talybont village, reached by a long farmtrack across fields from the road E, or a less used track across the canal to S.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.