This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8896 / 51°53'22"N
Longitude: -3.2621 / 3°15'43"W
OS Eastings: 313235
OS Northings: 221983
OS Grid: SO132219
Mapcode National: GBR YV.R3H0
Mapcode Global: VH6C7.DRSS
Entry Name: Wagon house and attached stable at Buckland Farm
Listing Date: 17 December 1998
Last Amended: 17 December 1998
Source ID: 21181
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Fronting the lane by Buckland Farm and roughly on a line with the front garden wall of the farmhouse. Buckland Farm is situated near the main park entrance to N of the house.
Community: Talybont-on-Usk (Tal-y-bont ar Wysg)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Mid to later C19, part of the model farm development; does not appear on Tithe of 1845.
The farmhouse is C16-C17 in origin, remodelled later, particularly mid to later C19 as part of a model farm development. Previously called Wern y Berllan and appears as such and T- shaped on Tithe map of 1841, together with a farm range mainly to rear which pre-dates the expansion. OS map 1889 shows development complete. Buckland House later Hall nearby was first recorded as a Jacobean mansion c 1600 and was rebuilt for Roderick Gwynne c 1775. From mid C19 until its sale in 1935 Buckland was the property of the Gwynne Holford family. The house was rebuilt following a fire in 1898.
Cartshed and hayloft of stone rubble with tooled stone dressings and Welsh slate roof. Range of 4 boarded first floor openings with central mullions and shallow sills directly under eaves. To ground floor right a range of 4 cartshed bays with wide segmental arches, voussoirs, keystone and quoins. To left end are two narrow doorways with boarded stable doors. Gable end to right has a large first floor window with multipane glazing under a single stone lintel; to left, wall is chamfered at angle and has a central doorway flanked by 2 multipane hoppers, similar above. Rear has similar boarded openings at first floor level. Attached at right angles to left is a single storey stable range with tooled quoins, lintels, surrounds and sills; two doorways with boarded stable doors and 3 windows with hoppers. Roof has 2 ventilators. To rear, this L- shaped range and an attached remodelled barn form a courtyard for stock bounded by a stone wall.
Stable retains some wooden stalls and stable tile floor. Side doorway of cartshed range leads to internal loft staircase.
Included as an integral part of the especially well-preserved historic farm complex at Buckland.
Group value with other listed farm buildings at Buckland Farm.
Other nearby listed buildings