This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8486 / 51°50'54"N
Longitude: -3.3363 / 3°20'10"W
OS Eastings: 308048
OS Northings: 217512
OS Grid: SO080175
Mapcode National: GBR YR.TP2Z
Mapcode Global: VH6CD.4S2Q
Entry Name: Abercynafon farmhouse and attached farm range
Listing Date: 17 December 1998
Last Amended: 17 December 1998
Source ID: 21193
Building Class: Domestic
Location: By the mountain road from Pontsticill to Talybont, in Glyn Collwn to W of the Talybont Reservoir.
Community: Talybont-on-Usk (Tal-y-bont ar Wysg)
Locality: Glyn Collwn
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
House is probably C17. Signs of widening on both sides and alterations to window openings, possibly associated with addition of stable and wagon shed in C19. Nearby ruined chapel provides evidence of medieval presence in this valley, which although remote, may have long been used as a mountain pass. Alterations were probably associated with the upgrading of this mountain route evidenced by the early C19 bridges along its length, following the opening of the canal at Talybont. The route provided a road link between the canal and the industrial valleys to south. Tithe map of 1841 appears to show route running to rear of buildings, though grouped as at present; on OS 2nd edition map 1905 as now. On both maps name is Pentre Abercynafon, and other buildings are shown nearby, particularly on the other side of the road. Now uninhabited and partly derelict.
Farmhouse of rubble formerly lime-rendered and colour washed with mostly corrugated roof though some Welsh slates visible and yellow brick end stacks. Three openings at first floor level and 2 covered up to ground floor with timber lintels either side of a central gabled porch with stone tiles and large stone quoins. Attached range is of formerly limewashed rubble with dressed and tooled stone dressings and Welsh slate roof; it has to end left 2 wide basket arched cart shed bays separated by a column and 2 circular pitching eyes above; to right is the stable with central doorway with stable door, metal-framed 8 pane windows either side with stone stills, altered to left, all under cambered arches; large rectangular loft opening above.
House interior had former cross passage plan with rear outshut. Now in one main room it has open fireplace to left, bricked in, with staircase to side; 4 chamfered and stopped cross beams; small fireplace in right wall; rear outshut. Roof of collar and tie beam and 3 rows of trenched purlins. Attached range has roof of kingposts and struts.
Included notwithstanding its poor condition as an interesting small farmstead of possibly C17 origin on a mountain route of historic interest.
Group value with the barn and bridge at Abercynafon.