This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4991 / 51°29'56"N
Longitude: -3.1744 / 3°10'27"W
OS Eastings: 318578
OS Northings: 178451
OS Grid: ST185784
Mapcode National: GBR KKD.5K
Mapcode Global: VH6F6.XLQ4
Entry Name: Roath Park United Reform Church
Listing Date: 31 March 1999
Last Amended: 24 May 2002
Source ID: 21576
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated at corner of Pen-y-wain Road and Morlais Street in a prominent position at top of hill.
Locality: Roath Park
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built in 1909-10 as Congregational chapel to designs of Habershon, Fawckner & Co., of Newport and Cardiff, on site of iron chapel built in 1898. Restored in 1950. After opening of new chapel the former iron chapel became the Sunday School. New Sunday School adjoining chapel built 1927 to replace the iron structure.
Built of rock-faced Pennant sandstone with Bath stone dressings. Slate roof. Gable-fronted chapel with 3-stage (originally 4-stage with corner pinnacles) tower at S corner, and schoolroom added on NW side. Decorated gothic in style. Main front divided into 3 bays by stepped buttresses, the tower forming one of the end bays. Gabled and pointed arch doorway to each bay. Large, 5-light window with Geometric tracery above central doorway. Small single light window in upper part of N bay. Tower has single rectangular window at second stage, and 2-light Decorated window to upper stage. Tall, 2-light Decorated windows to first 4 bays of side elevation, with 3-light rectangular windows at ground floor level and short, 2-light Decorated window at first floor level of last 2 bays. Gable-fronted schoolroom in similar materials adjoins.
Raked galleries on three sides. Decorative cast iron fronts to galleries. Rear gallery extends far back over entrance vestibule and up to 5-light W window. Round, cast iron columns at ground floor level supporting galleries and at gallery level supporting roof trusses. Handsome, high, 5-bay timber boarded ceiling supported on arch-braces and tie-beams with flat centre section and steeply sloping ceilings over side galleries. Decorative wood ventilators to centre section of ceiling. Slightly sloping ground floor with original timber pews, canted at sides. Seating for 650. Polished timber rails to 'set fawr' area in front of pulpit. Octagonal wood pulpit with decorative inlaid panels and polished and panelled wood front to choir area added in 1945. Original organ and pipes housed in pointed arched recess behind choir. Some coloured glass incorporating Art Nouveau motifs to windows to side walls. Adjoining schoolroom has classrooms at lower level and large hall at upper level.
Listed primarily for its well-integrated interior containing handsome ceiling and trusses, supported on two levels of columns with Gothic braces, elegant gallery fronts and original fittings.
Other nearby listed buildings