This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9758 / 52°58'32"N
Longitude: -4.4592 / 4°27'33"W
OS Eastings: 234972
OS Northings: 344882
OS Grid: SH349448
Mapcode National: GBR 58.JH7K
Mapcode Global: WH443.GGSJ
Entry Name: Trem-y-mynydd, with associated front walls
Listing Date: 18 May 1999
Last Amended: 18 May 1999
Source ID: 21723
Building Class: Education
Location: The village of Porth-y-nant lies at the bottom of a narrow valley NW of Llithfaen. The terrace named Trem-y-mynydd forms the N side of the open square.
Locality: Nant Gwrtheyrn
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Porth-y-nant was the name given to the new settlement planned and built for the exploitation of the granite deposits in Nant Gwrtheyrn, which was begun by Hugh Owen in 1851. The village was built by a new purchaser, Mr Dodd from c1863 and completed by a Mr Benthal. The present houses were built in c1875 by the then quarry operators Kneeshaw and Lupton. It housed workers in two main terraces of dwellings which were considered an advanced provision for quarry workers at the time. The terraces are set around an open communal square, together with company offices, a shop and bakehouse. Later, the manager's house and a chapel, erected in 1878, were added. The village, which continued to serve the three large quarries, Cae'r Nant, Porth-y-nant, and Carreg-y-llam, produced large quantities of granite setts and kerbs, particularly for Manchester, Liverpool and Birkenhead, and continued to operate until 1914. Significant quantities of aggregates and building stone were also produced. The last person left in 1959, and after years of neglect and vandalism, the buildings were revived at the expense of ARC Aggregates as a home for the National Language School sponsored by Dr Carl Iwan Clowes in 1978, its courses beginning in 1982. Trem-y-mynydd, originally called Mountain View, forms the N side of the open square with the manager's house set apart at the W end.
The terrace of 11 houses is built of rubble stonework with slate roofs, hipped at the E end, and stepping down the fall of the ground. Two storeys throughout, the houses are both single and double bays, the smaller with a front parlour, a rear dining room and kitchen. Stairs rise from the front room to the two bedrooms. Doors and windows were renewed after 1978; framed and battened doors with overlights, and 12-pane sash windows with stone sills and lintels. Stone stacks on the part walls. Each house has a walled front garden with access to a walled footpath running down directly to the manager's house. Houses are now named from the W: Can Llaw'r bont, Porth-y-Wawr, Clwydfa, Ty-y-Faner, Treforgan, Rhuthun, Aelhaearn (double), and Dwyfor (also double).
The interiors were completely modernised in 1979.
Included as a critical component of the mid-later C19 complete new industrial settlement planned by the successful quarries of Nant Gwrtheyrn, considered at the time to be advanced in design due to a rising social awareness of the benefits of good quality provision for quarry workers.
Other nearby listed buildings