History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pont Bran

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangadog, Carmarthenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9401 / 51°56'24"N

Longitude: -3.8845 / 3°53'4"W

OS Eastings: 270554

OS Northings: 228521

OS Grid: SN705285

Mapcode National: GBR Y0.MYZN

Mapcode Global: VH4HS.MH9L

Entry Name: Pont Bran

Listing Date: 19 July 1999

Last Amended: 19 July 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21999

Building Class: Transport

Location: Situated at N end of Church Street.

County: Carmarthenshire

Town: Llangadog

Community: Llangadog

Community: Llangadog

Built-Up Area: Llangadog

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Llansadwrn

History

Road bridge over the River Bran, probably early C19, built before 1833. The treatment of the cutwaters is very similar to that on Pont ar Towy (q.v.) of 1819, said to have been designed by William Harries.

Exterior

Bridge, rubble stone, three-arch with cut grey stone voussoirs, small stones in spandrels and triangular cutwaters with stepped triangular tops. Centre arch is broad, outer arches narrow. Plain parapets with stone copings, raised piers each end.

Reasons for Listing

Included as an architecturally-designed three-arch stone road bridge, of unusual quality.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Delfan
    Situated at the N end of the street, next to Pont Bran.
  • II Cwrt-y-plas
    Situated set-back from Church Street, N of Vicarage Road.
  • II* Church of Saint Cadoc
    Situated towards the upper end of Church Street, in large churchyard with stone boundary wall.
  • II Penrhyn House
    Situated on corner of Walters Road, attached to Brodawel in L-plan pair. Whitewashed rubble stone curving forecourt wall.
  • II Brodawel
    Situated at corner of Walters Road and Vicarage Road behind low curving stone front wall.
  • II Former Church Hall
    Situated on NE side of road parallel to Church Street, set back in grounds with iron railings and stone gatepiers to road.
  • II Llwyn-yr-adar
    Situated prominently on curve of Church Street, opposite Church House.
  • II Railings, piers and gates to former Church Hall
    Situated enclosing the grassed court of former Church Hall

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.