This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9711 / 51°58'15"N
Longitude: -3.8756 / 3°52'32"W
OS Eastings: 271255
OS Northings: 231949
OS Grid: SN712319
Mapcode National: GBR Y1.KTL0
Mapcode Global: VH4HL.SQ0B
Entry Name: Church of Saint Cwrdaf
Listing Date: 20 July 1999
Last Amended: 20 July 1999
Source ID: 22015
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on E side of A482 at N edge of Llanwrda village.
Built-Up Area: Llanwrda
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Anglican parish church, medieval origins, much rebuilt. Original single vessel repaired in 1812, restored 1870 by R K Penson. Penson found a date of 1638 under whitewash. Penson's alterations for £300-£400 were said to have included new roof, porch, 2 new windows, chancel fittings and pulpit. But in 1871 Penson wrote that the money for the vestry and 2 new windows had only just been collected. An ashlar window was inserted in 1871, a reredos in 1872 (now gone), and a stained glass window in 1878. Much more extensive alteration in 1893-5 by S W Williams of Rhayader for £1,000 appears to have redone most of the church including new porch, new windows in red sandstone, new N aisle with ashlar arcade, pulpit, and presumably the roof was also replaced. The architect gave the font cover. Lych-gate added in 1903.
Church, rubble stone with dressings in red sandstone of 1890s and Bath stone of 1870s. Slate roofs, terracotta ridge tiles, and iron cross finials on W bellcote, S porch, main ridge and E end. Single vessel with lean-to added S porch, lean-to N aisle, gabled N organ chamber and lean-to NE vestry. W end has some old stonework. 3-light window with ogee reticulated tracery and hood in red stone. Small gabled W bellcote with 2 openings set just back from verge. S side has 3x3-light Perpendicular style red stone windows with flat heads and hoodmoulds, 2 smaller with ogee tracery, the third to right with pointed lights. Porch of 1890s between first and second windows, squared rockfaced rubble stone with slate overhanging roof, pointed arch, pointed inner door and rafter roof. E end has old stonework and evidence of raised roofline. 2 inset plaques, to D P Lewis of Gilfach d.1807 and D Morgans of Hafodygleddau d.1797. Bath stone 3-light Perpendicular style pointed window with hood. N side has red sandstone cusped single light to chancel, then lean-to vestry with red stone pointed E door and 2-light square-headed Bath stone N window with hood. Added 3-bay aisle has gable for organ chamber to left with 2-light plate-traceried ashlar window with roundel (presumably reused from 1870 work) and 2 red sandstone 3-light ogee-traceried windows to right.
Single main vessel with plastered walls and attractive ceiled barrel roof of 1893. 9x6 boarded panels and brattished cornices to wallplates. N side has 3-bay arcade of 1893. Round columns, moulded bases and caps, 2-chamfer pointed arches, hoodmoulds and ornate floral or foliate corbel-stops. Aisle has roof braced from corbels on arcade, ashlar reveals to windows. Chancel undivided, single step, chamfered pointed N vestry door appears medieval. In W wall is set a crude medieval holy water stoup with roughly panelled sides. Font is medieval plain octagonal bowl, chamfered beneath, on base of 1893-5. Later C19 organ in simple Gothic case, of 1876 according to one plaque, given 1972 according to another. Pulpit of 1893-5 has ashlar base with red sandstone to squat octagonal shaft and ashlar canted 4-sided top. Pointed blank panels with some carving in spandrels. Plain pews and chancel stalls, pitch pine. Chancel rails of 1870, pitch-pine, trefoiled open panels with trident iron insert in each opening. Encaustic tiles to sanctuary. C20 oak reredos. Chancel S window has 3-light stained glass of Ascension in late Gothic style, to J LPopkin d.1871, the glass by Hardman 1878. Monuments: plaque of 1872 over pulpit replicates text of memorial to Lady Letitia Cornwallis who redecorated the church and gave the plate in 1786. Well-lettered plain plaque to Rees Price of Cefnucheldre d.1800 and Samuel Price d.1808. Similar plaque to infant children of David Price of Blaenycwm d.1777-8, his wife d.1789 and himself d.1807. Slightly neo-Grec marble tablet to Mary Lewis of Gilfach d.1828 and Rees Williams of Llwyncelyn d.1832, made by J Thomas & Son of Brecon. N side well lettered plaque to Joan Bishop d.1766, plaques to Rev R Price d.1857 and Jane Jenkins d.1857.
Included as a basically medieval church with good quality late-C19 stonework in the arcade and windows and some C18 to C19 memorials.
Other nearby listed buildings