History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Capel Noni

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanllwni, Carmarthenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0403 / 52°2'25"N

Longitude: -4.1962 / 4°11'46"W

OS Eastings: 249464

OS Northings: 240269

OS Grid: SN494402

Mapcode National: GBR DL.FRSB

Mapcode Global: VH3KL.6ZZ8

Entry Name: Capel Noni

Listing Date: 2 September 1999

Last Amended: 24 June 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22263

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated on the SE side of the A485 approximately 1km SW of Aber-Giar. Gable end to road.

County: Carmarthenshire

Town: Pencader

Community: Llanllwni

Community: Llanllwni

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Pencader

History

Independent chapel of 1838-42, restored 1963. First chapel built 1810.

Exterior

Chapel, coursed rubble stone with sandstone dressings, slate roof with deep eaves and verges on paired brackets. Two-storey long-wall facade, flush sandstone quoins, arched openings, 2 first floor gallery windows, roundel plaque between, ground floor centre larger arched window and doors each side, aligned under gallery windows. Sandstone voussoirs to arches, stone sills, later C19 Y-tracery timber glazing, C20 doors and plain fanlights. Windowless end walls, that to right slate-hung. Rear also slate-hung, has 2 arched windows with Y-tracery.

Interior

Plan has pulpit on rear wall, so ground floor centre window lights lobby only, window head above ceiling level. Fine gallery on 4 painted timber columns, with canted angles to give 2 long sides and 3 shorter sides. Deep plain cornice broken forward over columns (columns are at joins of the 5 sides), under painted panelled front, square panels mostly, the centre panel of canted sides horizontal and centre has clock in roundel. Panelled pilasters between sections.
1963 refitting included Japanese oak pews in 3 blocks, gallery pews, set fawr, pulpit and lobby. Simple modernised versions of traditional forms, pulpit canted front plain panelled, platform front vertically boarded, steps up each side. Earlier C20 coloured glass in windows behind.

Reasons for Listing

Included primarily for the architectural character of the chapel exterior of c1840, retaining fine original gallery inside, though other fittings are of the 1960s.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.