This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8946 / 51°53'40"N
Longitude: -4.8758 / 4°52'32"W
OS Eastings: 202222
OS Northings: 225697
OS Grid: SN022256
Mapcode National: GBR CP.QZ43
Mapcode Global: VH1R2.FMQX
Entry Name: Woodstock Calvinistic Methodist Chapel
Listing Date: 6 December 1999
Last Amended: 21 November 2000
Source ID: 22755
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in the centre of the village of Woodstock, between the B4329 and lane to Woodstock, Middle Woodstock and Woodstock East farms.
Town: Clarbeston Road
Community: Ambleston (Treamlod)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Calvinistic Methodist Chapel founded 1754 by the Rev Howell Davies, 1717-70, the 'Apostle of Pembrokeshire'. Davies founded several chapels in the county, of which this was the first, and at the opening in 1755 George Whitefield also officiated. It was rebuilt in 1808-9 and remodelled in 1890.
Chapel, unpainted render with slate hipped double roof and terracotta ridge tiles with end finials. Roofs have small louvred gablet in centre of both S and N pitches. Long front with 3 long arched windows and 2 outer doors. Brick eaves in 3 stepped courses, the middle course laid diagonally. Glazing and doors of 1890, Y-tracery windows and matching fanlights, framed boarded doors. Two small slate date plaques 'Restored 1890', and 'Woodstock built 1754 rebuilt 1808'. Two similar windows each side, E side plaque 'Woodstock 1808'. One window to rear right and attached house to rear NE, C20 door and window S, C20 window each floor to E, 4-pane sash over lean-to addition to W.
Square interior without galleries, divided by 2 tall iron columns with florid heads carrying the plastered beam under the roof valley. Plain plastered flat ceilings. Densely filled with pews of 1890, raked to rear, in 4 blocks, some inward facing each side of pulpit. Matching benches on 3 sides of pulpit for set fawr. Pulpit is panelled with centre projected with canted sides, upper panels with pierced fretwork patterns. Steps up each side with heavy Gothic balustrades and turned newels with finials. Boarded dado, seat with Gothic open back across centre window. Each window has a small piece of coloured etched glass in apex. Pine corner lobbies, with draught screen just inside doors. Rear wall right has broad elliptical arched opening with panelled boarding, removable so as to allow further seating in upper room of house. To left of pulpit, a marble memorial to Howell Davies, 1895.
Included as a late Georgian chapel with a rare plan form and for historical interest as the first Methodist chapel in Pembrokeshire.