This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8915 / 52°53'29"N
Longitude: -4.4121 / 4°24'43"W
OS Eastings: 237825
OS Northings: 335402
OS Grid: SH378354
Mapcode National: GBR 5B.PW5R
Mapcode Global: WH44J.6L84
Entry Name: Brynhyfryd
Listing Date: 20 March 2000
Last Amended: 20 March 2000
Source ID: 23017
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In prominent position on Alltfawr overlooking inner harbour. Set in large garden between Caernarfon Road and Abererch Road.
Built-Up Area: Pwllheli
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
House of early 1840s. Built for William Jones (1793-1855), master shipbuilder of Pwllheli, on a site above his shipyard. The high quality mahogany woodwork and fittings inside the house perhaps reflect or advertise the quality of work on Jones' ships. The house is not on the Tithe Map, but Jones is recorded as entertaining at Brynhyfryd in 1844. The house was a doctor's surgery in the early and middle C20, and has recently been restored, with work including removal of a later extension to N.
Villa with Italianate detailing. Stucco with quoins and ground floor chanelling; slate roof, half hipped; tall end stacks. Two storeys and attic; basement. Generally small-pane sash windows with marginal bars. South front has three windows, those on first floor with architraves and entablatures; on ground floor, windows with bracketed cornices flank Ionic porch (glazed in); part glazed door with overlight with stained glass. To R (east), lower (slightly later) extension has cornice and blocking course, first floor window of paired semi-circular lights; 16-pane sash window on ground floor; E side has blind windows as front first floor. At attic level, E and W sides have 2 small sash windows. North elevation has on first floor, large central sash stair window with bracketed cornice flanked by windows with architraves; ground floor has modern porch with, to each side, window with architrave; steps down to area giving entrance to cellar. At NE angle, C20 steps to upper floor.
Interior retains high quality mahogany fittings, including stair, window shutters, panelled doors and skirtings, and plaster ceiling cornices and roses, especially in dining room, hall, and landing. Central entrance hall with good ceiling plasterwork and wooden stair. Dining room to L with good ceiling plasterwork, and blue-grey Italian marble fireplace. Drawing room to R now has separate entrance; cornice said to be intact above suspended ceiling. Slate steps down to cellar with high ceilings, slate-flagged floor. Wooden stair from first floor to attic with 4 rooms at corners; simplified detailing at this level. Steps to loft with heavily-built king-post roof.
Well-detailed villa of distinguished Pwllheli citizen of early C19 with good contemporary interior wood- and plaster-work, on prominent site above inner harbour and site of Jones' shipyard.
Other nearby listed buildings