This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6438 / 52°38'37"N
Longitude: -3.9551 / 3°57'18"W
OS Eastings: 267816
OS Northings: 306909
OS Grid: SH678069
Mapcode National: GBR 8Y.6DTZ
Mapcode Global: WH571.6TW2
Entry Name: Grail Retreat
Listing Date: 10 April 2000
Last Amended: 10 April 2000
Source ID: 23189
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Heol Tan-y-bryn is a development of two confronting terraces of houses running NE-SW, on the S side of Abergynolwyn.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The houses fronting Tan-y-bryn were designed by T H Connell for the Aberdovey Slate Co Ltd between 1865 and 1868. It consisted of a street of two facing rows of 22 houses also by T H Connell, the 12 on the N side containing a parlour, living room, kitchen and 3 bedrooms. On the S side 5 larger houses had four bedrooms, presumably the houses at the W end of the S side, and 6 were smaller with only two bedrooms. One other is to a different plan, presumably to incorporate a shop. All had back gardens. The quarry was sold in 1879, and closed in 1909, but was re-formed as the Abergynolwyn Slate and Slab Co Ltd in 1911, continuing production into the late 1920s. No 10A is one of the larger houses at the W end of the S row, said to be the earliest to be erected in the street and was probably the community general shop.
The building, which is at the SW end of the row, is of 3 window bays, with the original 3-panelled door but with an arch in the fanlight. Twelve-paned horned sash windows, but a former opening, perhaps a shop window, to the right of the door has been replaced with a tripartite uPVC window. Later extensions to the rear and 3 roof lights.
Included as part of a mid-later C19 planned development of high quality workers' dwellings of urban character for the local slate industry.
Other nearby listed buildings