This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2707 / 53°16'14"N
Longitude: -3.1752 / 3°10'30"W
OS Eastings: 321725
OS Northings: 375503
OS Grid: SJ217755
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z8M.D7
Mapcode Global: WH76S.618X
Entry Name: Bagillt Gaol (Lock Up)
Listing Date: 15 June 2000
Last Amended: 15 June 2000
Source ID: 23488
Building Class: Civil
Location: Built into slope of ground below the house Windy Ridge; about 50m from old main road between Flint and Holywell.
Built-Up Area: Flint
Traditional County: Flintshire
Mid C19 lock up; probably datable to 1860s. On OS 25 Inch Map, surveyed 1870.
which shows gaol built to abut a narrow lane leading S, about 50m from the former main (turnpike) road from Flint to Holywell. Village lock-ups were small gaols for temporary detention of offenders. Early examples date from the late C18; the building type became obsolete with construction of purpose-built cells within police stations. Other Victorian examples in North Wales were built for the industrial settlements at Saltney (1864), Rhosllanerchrugog (1870-73), Connah’s Quay (1878). At Caergwrle, the gaol was of similar construction, but circular in plan. Although this structure is now built into the slope, the presence of slit windows on both sides suggests the building was free standing when erected. The building was the subject of a restoration scheme in 2000 which repaired roof and replaced iron roof cramps with non-ferrous cramps, limewashed interior, and provided new metal door.
Stone-built rectangular structure with plinth, built into slope. Rubble masonry (uncoursed) with heavy dressed stone quoins. Pair of slit windows on opposing sides. Roof of rectangular sandstone slabs in four cantilevered courses, now cramped non-ferrous cramps. There is evidence that the roof slabs were once tarred on exterior. Doorway in SW elevation (replaced stone lintel); indented stone jambs with pair of iron hinge bolts. New studded metal door with strap hinges (dates from restoration); original lock strap bolt still in place. Stone slab threshold to door with water channels.
Divided into two connected cells by brick wall with doorway with pair of iron hinge bolts and stone lintel. Stone flagged floor. Interior walls limewashed (during restoration).
Listed as an example of a distinctive minor public building type which is becoming increasingly rare.
Other nearby listed buildings