This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2017 / 53°12'6"N
Longitude: -3.4645 / 3°27'52"W
OS Eastings: 302272
OS Northings: 368184
OS Grid: SJ022681
Mapcode National: GBR 6K.2BX0
Mapcode Global: WH65P.RSFC
Entry Name: Churchyard Walls and Lychgate at the Church of St Sadwrn
Listing Date: 29 June 2000
Last Amended: 29 June 2000
Source ID: 23504
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Bounding the churchyard on its eastern, northern and southern sides, the lychgate facing E.
Built-Up Area: Henllan
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Post-medieval churchyard walls, probably largely C18 and C19. Lychgate presented by Sir Ernest Tate of Galltfaenan Hall in 1935, to commemorate King George V's jubilee.
The churchyard walls are of limestone rubble construction and are in 2 main stretches. The first runs parallel with the lane bordering the churchyard to the N, and adjoins the detached belfry. From this point the wall runs at a height of approximately 1.8m for some 60m where there is a small churchyard entrance with oak half-gates, the walls curved inwards to it on either side. To the R of this is a further short section of wall with boarded door in pegged frame; the wall terminates where it joins a house immediately beyond.
Lychgate, dated 1935, has rubble stone base walls and timber-framed upper section with open framed sides, and decorative carving to spandrels of cambered collar; crucifix on king post above. Decorative bargeboards to oversailing slate roof; paired timber gates.
The second stretch of wall runs S from the lychgate, parallel with a steep metalled path which runs down towards Llindir Street. This section is approximately 1m high on the churchyard side and a maximum height of some 2m on the path side. At the bottom, the wall continues along the southern boundary of the churchyard as a low wall. To the R of the lychgate, and linking it with the detached bell tower, is a railed war memorial; this has a Celtic cross and plain railings in an arc between square piers.
Listed as a good sequence of churchyard walls with 1930s commemorative lychgate.
Group value with other listed items at the Church of St Sadwrn.
Other nearby listed buildings