This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0561 / 53°3'21"N
Longitude: -4.2841 / 4°17'2"W
OS Eastings: 247013
OS Northings: 353421
OS Grid: SH470534
Mapcode National: GBR 5H.CHSQ
Mapcode Global: WH43T.5F6Z
Plus Code: 9C5Q3P48+C8
Entry Name: Bethel Chapel, railed enclosure and gates
Listing Date: 21 July 2000
Last Amended: 21 July 2000
Source ID: 23705
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
ID on this website: 300023705
Location: Prominently situated on slightly rising ground, into which it is set, towards the northern end of Penygroes, its Sunday School on the other side of the road, the chapel sits in its own walled and rail
Built-Up Area: Penygroes
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Tagged with: Chapel
A Methodist/Independent Sunday School was established here in 1827, followed by an Independent Chapel in 1834. A Methodist Congregation was established in 1845 and a chapel to seat 300 people was built in 1860. This forms the basis of the present structure, which was extensively remodelled between 1899 and 1901. The contractors were Messrs. Jones and Roberts of Pwllhelli and the building reopened in 1902.
Chapel set in low, rubble-walled enclosure, topped by hooped and spear-headed iron railings with decorated gates and overthrow to north-east corner. Long rectangular plan of 2 storeys in a free Italianate style. Cement-rendered walls; slate roof. Entrance front of 1901 has rusticated quoins, entablature and panelled parapet with pyramidal cappings to the corners and slightly projecting pedimented central section extending above parapet. This has a pair of recessed panelled double doors under round-headed arches with imposts, architraves and keystones in a 2-bay Tuscan porch with entablature, detached columns and balustraded parapet. Large window above of loosely Venetian type with pilasters separating the lights and supporting the frieze and cornice, the former with the superscription "1860/ BETHEL/ 1901". Lunette above central light also with pilastered surround, flanking scrolls and segmental pediment. The centre section is flanked by 6-paned windows with pilastered surround, frieze and cornice, one on each floor. 2 tiers of windows to 6-bay side elevations, the upper tall and round-headed with pilastered surrounds and moulded architraves containing glazing bar sashes with margin lights, the lower square-headed with moulded architraves and keystones framing glazing bar sashes.
Entrance lobby has 2 dog-leg staircases with twisted balusters leading to the gallery, a pair of panelled doors and a central window, both the window and the upper panels of the doors with Art Nouveau coloured glass, leading to the chapel itself. This is as remodelled in 1899-1901 with all fittings and furnishings in pitch pine. Plastered walls and enriched cornice to flat ceiling with ribs forming square and rectangular panels to ends and sides, the centre having a large circular panel with 4 smaller decorative roses within and a highly ornamented central rose with pendant, from which hangs an electrolier. Gallery on 3 sides, supported by spiral-decorated cast-iron columns, has panelled front, curved to corners, on bracketed cornice with raked seating consisting of numbered benches. Similar seating to ground floor. Set fawr at far end has neo-Norman pulpit flanked by flights of curved steps with turned newels and balusters; enclosure below has round-arched panelled screen with ball finials to integral columns and bench inside. Organ above pulpit on panelled podium in segmental-arched recess with egg-and-dart moulding to arch, imposts and decorated spandrels; entablature above with enriched frieze and cornice resting on 2 Corinthian pilasters which flank opening.
Included as a good example of a C19 chapel, extensively remodelled at the turn of the century with a well-preserved interior of the period, the chapel forms a striking composition with its Sunday School/vestry on the opposite side of the road.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings