This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7119 / 51°42'42"N
Longitude: -2.7373 / 2°44'14"W
OS Eastings: 349155
OS Northings: 201719
OS Grid: SO491017
Mapcode National: GBR JJ.3B6C
Mapcode Global: VH87D.H7RH
Entry Name: Trellech Grange Church
Listing Date: 29 September 2000
Last Amended: 9 October 2001
Source ID: 24048
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Adjoining the farm buildings at Chapel Farm.
Community: Tintern (Tyndyrn)
Locality: Trellech Grange
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Trellech Grange is a pre-Norman site and then a monastic one belonging ot Tintern Abbey. The present church is clearly medieval in origin but undatable as all the features other than the door are from the 1861 restoration. It has not been changed since then apart from the addition of heating and lighting. The estate passed to the Somersets, later Dukes of Beaufort, at the Dissolution and they continued to hold it until 1873. The register begins in 1770. There is no tithe map as the parish was owned wholly by the Duke.
All the features are Victorian apart from the south door which appears to be late medieval - C17. It is a pointed chamfered arch with a Victorian door of diagonal oak planking with strap hinges. The south window to the right of the door is a 2-light Decorated one with trefoil headed lights. The east gable window is similar but with a trefoil above the two lights. The north wall has two single light trefoil headed windows and another in the east gable. The steeply pitched bellcote on the west gable carries a single bell and is crowned by a cross. The exterior of the church has not been altered since 1861.
It stands in a small rectangular churchyard of mainly Victorian headstones, the earliest dating from 1830.
The interior is a plastered and ceiled single cell which has a nine bay Victorian waggon roof with moulded ribs. There is one large cranked tie-beam which appears to be C17 and may thus be the date of the roof hidden above the ceiling. The furnishings, benches, pulpit etc are all Victorian except for the font which is probably medieval but has been very heavily re-cut. The lighting, heating and the altar date from the 1950's.
Included as a small medieval church which is virtually unchanged since its restoration in 1861.
Other nearby listed buildings