This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8343 / 51°50'3"N
Longitude: -2.8523 / 2°51'8"W
OS Eastings: 341371
OS Northings: 215416
OS Grid: SO413154
Mapcode National: GBR FD.VP3K
Mapcode Global: VH799.H5Z5
Entry Name: Talycoed Farmhouse
Listing Date: 27 October 2000
Last Amended: 27 October 2000
Source ID: 24326
Location: Approximately 2km E of Llantilio Crossenny, at the end of a farm track that runs E off the minor road from Brynderi to Tal-y-coed.
Community: Llantilio Crossenny (Llandeilo Gresynni)
Community: Llantilio Crossenny
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A plan of Talycoed, drawn by Sir Cyril Fox in 1952, is illustrated in part III of Monmouthshire Houses. At the downhill end is the original early C16 timber-framed hall-house which was later reconstructed as a service wing to the adjoining early C17 Renaissance block. Fox and Raglan describe the interior of the C17 block, including the oak door-frame of entrance doorway with drawbar holes, reserve-chamfered window-frames, and quarter turn stair with landings housed in rear stair wing. A photograph of E elevation, taken by Fox and Raglan c1952, clearly shows the exterior of the tall stairs wing (Plate XXVI c). The 1843 Tithe Map marks Talycoed as owned by Thomas Davies and occupied by Phillip Watkins.
Farmhouse comprises reconsructed hall-house and Renaissance block in linear range. External walls are rendered; slate roof has axial brick stack in centre, and projecting rendered stack with brick flue at S end- gable. W front has former hall-house with lower roof-line (to left) and C17 block with steeply pitched roof (to right). Window openings have shallow stone sills and uPVC windows. Reconstructed hall-house has 2 2 2 pane window on first floor and 3-pane window at ground level. Attached Renaissance block, first floor has two 3 3 3 pane windows. On ground floor (left) is a gabled entrance porch with rendered walls and glazed door, and (right) a 2 2 2 2 pane window. E elevation has tall projecting gable of stair wing (left), which has small 1-light window (below) and 2-light mullion in gable-head. Side wall to right has a 2 2 pane window on first and 3-pane window below. Former hall-house (right) has on first floor two 2 2 pane windows. On ground floor is a C20 glazed door (centre) flanked by a segmental-arched window on each side, with C20 inserted 1-light window (far left).
Not available at time of resurvey.
Included as a good example of a small Renaissance house, developed from a sub-medieval original and thus demonstrating an important stage in the evolution of the regional house. Notwithstanding alteration to detail, the house retains its original form.
Other nearby listed buildings