This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1711 / 52°10'15"N
Longitude: -3.6193 / 3°37'9"W
OS Eastings: 289352
OS Northings: 253770
OS Grid: SN893537
Mapcode National: GBR YC.5BW8
Mapcode Global: VH5D7.6PYJ
Entry Name: Pantycelyn Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 30 October 2000
Last Amended: 30 October 2000
Source ID: 24351
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: An isolated chapel 2.6km NW of Eglwys Oen Duw, set above the E side of a minor road between Beulah and Abergwesyn.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
A Baptist chapel founded in 1774 and rebuilt in 1832 and 1890. A tablet in the side wall suggests that in 1832 the chapel had its front facing the long side wall, which was changed when the chapel was remodelled in 1890 with a new entrance in the gable end. There is no baptistery because the chapel has always practised river baptism.
A small chapel of rubble walls painted cream, and slate roof. The openings have brick dressings and round-headed hornless sash windows. The gable-end front has a central round-headed doorway with double panelled doors and radial overlight. Small slate plaques are fixed to the wall to the L and R, while further L is a stone tablet on moulded corbels by Daniel Davies commemorating Peter Jones, a former deacon (d. 1858). Above the doorway is a single window, above which is a tablet of 1890. In the L side wall are 2 tall windows. Between the windows is a small stone tablet dated 1832 suggesting that this was the main façade of the chapel until 1890. Under the R-hand window a memorial slab has been fixed to the wall, commemorating Margaret Griffiths (d. 1816). On the R side of the chapel is a track at a higher level. A stone mounting block with slate steps is built against the wall at the angle with the main front. The side wall has 2 windows lighting the gallery. The rear has a single window, while lower R is fixed a stone memorial tablet by D. Jones of Llanfechan commemorating David and Margaret Morgans (d. 1796 and 1816).
A small vestibule has plain double doors to the main chapel. The 3-sided raked gallery has a panelled front and is carried on cast iron posts with foliage capitals. A plaster ceiling has a single moulded roundel. A later pulpit has turned balusters. The pews and set fawr have plain details.
Listed as a well-preserved C19 rural chapel in an unspoilt historic location.
Other nearby listed buildings