This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1394 / 52°8'21"N
Longitude: -3.5155 / 3°30'55"W
OS Eastings: 296382
OS Northings: 250091
OS Grid: SN963500
Mapcode National: GBR YJ.76NQ
Mapcode Global: VH5DH.0HW9
Entry Name: Olewydd Congregational Chapel
Listing Date: 30 October 2000
Last Amended: 30 October 2000
Source ID: 24353
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Set back from the main road with its own burial ground, approximately 0.9km W of Llanfechan Church.
Locality: Llanafan Fechan
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
A congregational chapel founded in 1847 as a branch of Troedrhiwdalar Chapel. The present chapel, one of a pair with Beulah Chapel, is a rebuilding of 1883 (dates on building) and was designed to seat 200.
A simple classical style chapel with pebble-dashed front painted cream and slate roof. The 4-window front has a central gabled porch with a fish-scale slate roof. It has a round-headed doorway and small side windows, while inside are double panelled doors beneath an overlight. Above the porch are 2 round-headed windows lighting the gallery, each with 2-light Italianate tracery. These are flanked by outer tall and thin round-headed windows. The pedimented gable has a plain cornice with dentils that forms an impost band to the windows. Within the pediment is a dated inscription tablet, above which are 2 round-headed openings below the apex. The L side wall has lately been rendered and is painted cream. It has 2 pairs of narrow horned sashes set to the ends, above which are round-headed sashes lighting the gallery. The R side wall is of red brick but is otherwise similar to the L side. The rear is roughcast and has a single round-headed sash window upper L.
A narrower and lower stable and school room is attached to the rear that is continuous with the L side wall of the chapel, and is of brick with slate roof and end stack. On the L side wall, pebble dashed and painted cream, it has a stable door lower R under a segmental head, above which is a horned sash window below the eaves. The opposite side wall has external steps against the rear wall of the chapel, which has brick risers and balustrade, and stone treads. It leads to a boarded door below the eaves. Further R is a sash window below the eaves, above a small vented opening to the stable.
The vestibule has an etched glass panel opposite the doorway and plain panel doors. A 3-sided raked gallery has fluted cast iron columns with foliage capitals, while the gallery front is boarded but incorporates an open cast iron trail of foliage. The ceiling has large panels framed by moulded square ribs, and has 2 round vents and a central ceiling rose. The reredos has a raised segmental arch on fluted pilasters with foliage capitals. The pulpit has an open front of 2 round arches on turned posts, while flanking steps have turned balusters and newels. The pews and set fawr have plain mouldings. In the L side wall is a simple stone tablet commemorating Benjamin Davies (d. 1917) by E.L. Davies of Llanwrtyd.
Listed for architectural interest as a distinctive late C19 rural chapel retaining original character and detail.
Other nearby listed buildings