This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3884 / 53°23'18"N
Longitude: -4.5178 / 4°31'3"W
OS Eastings: 232660
OS Northings: 390903
OS Grid: SH326909
Mapcode National: GBR HM6R.C9W
Mapcode Global: WH424.K3X7
Entry Name: Old Rectory
Listing Date: 27 November 2000
Last Amended: 27 November 2000
Source ID: 24423
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set back, within private grounds, from the NE side of the country road leading through the village of Llanfairynghornwy; the Old Rectory is located c75m NW of the Church of St Mary at the SE end of th
County: Isle of Anglesey
Traditional County: Anglesey
The main block was built in 1823 (stone tablet over porch doorway), adjacent to the earlier C18 house, which was converted into a service wing. The rectory building is not recorded on the Tithe Map of the parish of Llanfairynghornwy, 1841, but not all of the buildings in the parish are shown on this Tithe map. The rectory is however recorded in both the Tithe Schedule and Census returns of the same year. The occupants at the time were Reverend James Williams, Rector of Llanfairynghornwy, Llanddeusant and Llangaffo, and his wife Frances; at the time of the Census they were accompanied by his 3 children and a total of 13 servants and guests.
James and Frances Williams, and their son John, were active supporters of the 'Association for the Preservation of Life from Shipwreck', and Frances is considered to be the founder of the Lifeboat Service in North Wales; James was awarded a gold medal for his personal bravery in rescue work in 1835. Frances was also a woman of resource and talent; she lithographed a painting she had made of the scene of the arrival of George IV at Holyhead in August 1821 and sold the copies to raise money to reward the bravery of those went to the aid of shipwrecks. The house contains a window which depicts the Royal Coat of Arms of George IV, which commemorates this occasion.
Two storey rectory comprising main residence built in 1823 in simple Tudor-Gothic style to S, and service wing (formerly the main house) to N. The main residence is built to a square double-pile plan; entrance through central storeyed gabled porch in symmetrically planned elevation facing W, the rear with adjoining paired gabled wings. Built of local rubble masonry with freestone dressings. Slate roof with arched slate copings with shaped kneelers and finials; the porch has a stepped gable parapet with shaped finial at the apex; diagonally-set butresses to each corner, and chamfered Tudor arch in moulded architrave; shield in apex of gable bears initials and date, J.P. 1823. To either side of the porch are triple diagonally set dressed stone stacks with capping. Windows are 2-light mullioned and transomed paired small-paned hornless sashes (the ground floor window L of the porch has been replaced by a single paned light); to the rear there are ground floor windows of 3-lights and single windows between the paired 1st floor windows to each gable, all also with transoms.
Service wing probably represents the earlier dwelling on the site: on the same alignment as the main house, a low 2-storeyed, 2-window range. Rubble masonry (limewashed to W elevation), with slate roof with axial brick stack, and some brick dressings. Original arrangement no longer clear, but axial stack may mark position of original end gable wall, since of W elevation at least, the narrow bay beyond it appears to be a separate build. This narrow bay now houses doorway to ground floor, with 9-pane sash above. Paired window to ground floor beyond are of c1900 character: sashes with small upper panes, in earlier openings with cambered brick heads. Small 9-paned sash below eaves above left-hand window. Rear elevation also has doorway in narrow bay beyond the stack, here with raised roofline accommodating sash window of c1900: fenestration elsewhere also of this period (narrow sashes with small upper panes and brick dressings), but an earlier 12-pane hornless sash with cambered brick head survives to the right, and the small-paned horizontally sliding sash is also likely to be early C19. Former cartshed doorway (to N) has a full-height modern window in opening.
Paired half-glazed doors with shallow arched radial fanlight to main entrance within porch: vestibule divided from inner hall by Tudor arch. Plan comprises spinal corridor with staircase to right and principal rooms to rear (overlooking garden), two smaller rooms flank the entrance. The house retains much of its original early C19 detail, including fine dogleg staircase and other joinery (panelled doors with deep panelled jambs and soffits, and panelled reveals to window), plasterwork cornices to principal rooms, and fireplaces. The clear heirachy of detail, simplifying in the service end of the house is also notable. Stained glass staircase window has paired lights; the L light with the Royal coat of arms with the initials G R above and the date Aug VIII MDCCCXXI below (commemorating the date of George IV to Holyhead). The right hand window also bears a coat of arms with the initials B/ H W above and the date March X MDCCCXXX below.
Listed as an early C19 rectory, which retains unusually good and complete internal detailing, and which in the mid C19 was home to Frances Williams, founder of the Lifeboat Service in north Wales.
Other nearby listed buildings