This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8112 / 51°48'40"N
Longitude: -4.3546 / 4°21'16"W
OS Eastings: 237781
OS Northings: 215131
OS Grid: SN377151
Mapcode National: GBR DD.X2JX
Mapcode Global: VH3LN.GQSW
Entry Name: Llwyn-du
Listing Date: 4 December 2000
Last Amended: 4 December 2000
Source ID: 24449
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated to the E of the B4312 some 1km SW of the centre of the village of Llangain.
Community: Llangain (Llan-gain)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Smaller country house, probably a mid to later C19 enlargement of an early C19 house. It is mentioned in 1821-3 as occupied by Captain Henry Harding and in the 1830s as occupied by Frederick Philipps JP, (d 1838). Owned in 1906 by Charles Bankes Davies.
Country house, stucco with hipped slate roof and rendered brick chimneys, one each end and one off-centre on main ridge. Eaves project with cyma-moulded brackets. Two-storey, six-window SW front of 12-pane sashes with stucco hoodmoulds. Glazed door in ground floor third bay may replace a window. Rendered right end wall, windowless to left, door in added glazed porch to right on side wall of rear wing, sash to right of porch with Gothic glazing bars. Two sashes above, with marginal glazing bars. Roughcast left end wall with small lean-to addition behind crenellated SW wall. One ground floor window with Gothic glazing bars left of centre, one first floor left 12-pane sash. Rear has projecting broad hipped wings each side and recessed hipped projection to centre, presumably original stair tower. Left wing is windowless with end stack. Recessed centre gable has added glazed lean-to below and large sash window above flanked by small sashes. Right wing has 12-pane sash at mid height left, lighting present stair, and to first floor right, and sash with Gothic glazing bars ground floor right.
From SE corner extend an L-plan range of single storey outbuildings, a short section running SE and range with 3 doors running NE with SW end truncated stack, roughcast, formerly whitewashed.
Spine corridor plan with principal rooms to SW and staircase to NE. Late C19 stair with ball-finial to turned newel and some later C19 tiling to corridor in front. Six-panel doors. Some floral plaster ceiling borders.
Included as a smaller country house in the late Georgian manner, complete with outbuildings in a little altered group.
Other nearby listed buildings