This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0854 / 53°5'7"N
Longitude: -3.3978 / 3°23'51"W
OS Eastings: 306476
OS Northings: 355153
OS Grid: SJ064551
Mapcode National: GBR 6N.9P3M
Mapcode Global: WH77F.SQ61
Entry Name: Bagot Memorial
Listing Date: 12 January 2001
Last Amended: 12 January 2001
Source ID: 24502
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: On the summit of Llys y Frenhines, beside the trig point, at a location commanding an exceptional landscape view.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Clocaenog common was first enclosed by Inclosure Commissioners and extensively planted with timber by Lord Bagot in the early C19; the timber was felled duing and after the Great War. It was replaced by the present Clocaenog Forest under the Forestry Commissioners commencing in 1930.
The memorial was built as a summit landmark to commemmorate the completion of the planting by Lord Bagot in 1830.
A monument in the form of a pyramid on a pedestal, in axe-dressed rough masonry, about eight metres in height. The top is eroded but appears to be finished in a smaller pyramid in the manner of an obelisk point. The pyramidal part is four metres in height and stands on a square pedestal carrying inscriptions on two faces. This stands on a high plinth consisting of four steep steps. At ground level the structure is about 4 metres square.
The original inscription faces east, and reads "As a memorial of his having completed this large range of mountain plantations which in part skirt the base of this hill William second Lord Bagot erected this pile of stones in the year 1830."
Following the felling and the replanting as Clocaenog Forest, a second inscription was carved by the artist Eric Gill and inserted into the pedestal stonework on the north side. This inscription reads: "Lord Bagot's plantations were felled during & after the Great War 1914 - 1918. The Forestry Commissioners began to plant Clocaenog Forest in 1930. 1934: R D Robinson, Chairman."
An early C19 pyramid monument in the summit-cairn tradition, comemmorating an important plantation, also featuring carved lettering by the artist Eric Gill commissioned by the Forestry Commission in 1934.
Other nearby listed buildings