This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5949 / 51°35'41"N
Longitude: -3.3247 / 3°19'29"W
OS Eastings: 308333
OS Northings: 189278
OS Grid: ST083892
Mapcode National: GBR HR.BLG2
Mapcode Global: VH6DR.B56Q
Entry Name: Church of St Dyfrig
Listing Date: 26 February 2001
Last Amended: 26 February 2001
Source ID: 24878
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Prominently sited at the S end of Broadway, W of the River Taff at Machine Bridge.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Built-Up Area: Pontypridd
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Dated 1926 and probably by F R Bates & Son, Roman Catholic architects of Newport. The basilican theme used here was later developed by them for St Joseph, Aberavon, built in 1930.
The design is a variation of the basilican theme. The walls are brick with stone dressings and the slate roof is behind coped gables. At the W end is a 5-bay gabled narthex wider than the nave and with pilaster strips. The central bay has a small round-headed window above a foundation tablet and is flanked by Romanesque doorways, both with nook shafts, roll-moulded arch and outer order of billets. Narrow round-headed windows are in the outer bays. Above the central bay is a polygonal turret with moulded cornice, and a copper dome, at the apex of which and set against the W wall of the nave, is a crucifixion sculpture in stone. The gable ends of the narthex have oculi. The 6-bay nave has shallow aisles with pilaster strips and round-headed windows, while each clerestory bay has 3 stepped round-headed windows with stone surrounds and under a round brick relieving arch. On the S side the 3 eastern bays have a chapel with roughcast walls and a confessional set slightly back, both under catslide roofs and with narrow small-pane windows. The lower and narrower chancel is a polygonal apse with high round-headed windows in each facet.
On the S side of the chancel is a vestry, also abutted by the confessional. The brick vestry has projecting boarded eaves, and windows with stone lintels and sills. The E wall has 5 windows, the S wall 3, while the entrance is on the E side, where a boarded door is under an overlight, with a window to the L.
The W doors lead into separate vestibules with niches for stoups. The N vestibule also has a stair to the organ and gallery with plain balusters and newels. The 6-bay nave has a plaster tunnel vault with broad ribs descending to ground level as wall shafts. The arcades have brick piers and plastered round arches. The tall chancel arch is similar, and has an impost band continuous with the clerestorey sill bands. The chancel has a stepped marble floor and continuous panelled reredos. The end bay of the nave has a later screen defining an extension to the vestibule, below the panelled gallery front. The confessional on the S side has ribbed doors, the chapel replaced glazed doors.
Listed for architectural interest as a distinctive and well-preserved church using the early Christian style.
Other nearby listed buildings