This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7786 / 51°46'42"N
Longitude: -2.6953 / 2°41'43"W
OS Eastings: 352127
OS Northings: 209106
OS Grid: SO521091
Mapcode National: GBR FM.Z01X
Mapcode Global: VH871.7KGD
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 28 February 2001
Last Amended: 28 February 2001
Source ID: 24947
Building Class: Domestic
Location: About 200m north of the Church of St Mary on the east side of the road.
Community: Trellech United (Tryleg Unedig)
Community: Trellech United
Locality: Penallt (Pentwyn)
Built-Up Area: Pen-twyn
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
This house was built as the new vicarage of Penallt parish in 1888-9, and is said to have been paid for by Richard Potter of The Argoed. The nearby church had been built in 1869 and was much more central to the population of the parish, making the Old Church much less important and less heavily used. The Old Church was a chapel-of-ease to St Nicholas, Trellech until 1887 when Penallt became a new parish. It had previously been served by a resident curate who lived at Moorcroft House. The new vicarage was designed by F W Waller, the Diocesan Architect for Gloucester Diocese. It remains largely unaltered apart from an addition of a kitchen extension in the mid/late C20. It ceased to be the vicarage in 1983, and the extension may date from then, or it may have been an earlier parish office.
The house is built of squared random rock-faced sandstone with render and timber framing in the gables, red tile roofs and red brick chimneys. Large centrally planned house in the 'Old English' style of Richard Norman Shaw. Two storeys and attic, but most of the first floor is also within the roof, which is a major feature of the house and has two large red brick stacks, one on the front slope and one on the ridge. The entrance front is in three large bays. To the left a gabled wing projects forward with a narrow 1 over 2 light window below and a 2 2 casement above. The gable has a mock king-post and plain bargeboards. To the right of this is a porch canted across the angle between the wing and the main range. The walls of the porch project at right angles to each other, with dwarf stone walls and a 2-light window above. The opening to the porch is angled between the walls, with a gable supported on curved braces, boarded door; the roof is a catslide continuation of the main roof slope. To the right of this is a tall gable containing the staircase; the main stair window has a stepped cill which carries a 3-light mullion-and-transom window. Above this is a rendered gable with timbering and a 3-light casement with lattice glazing; steeply pitched gable with plain bargeboards. To the right again the kitchen wing has paired 1 over 1 pane windows and a dormer with a 2-light casement above these. The single storey kitchen extension was added to the right gable, above this is a 2-light casement and a 3-light casement. The garden front has the single storey office with a 3-light French casement and a 2-light casement with an elliptical head. The front of the main house is in three bays with the centre bay projecting forward under a gable. To the left is a 3 3 pane French casement with overlight; in the centre a large 4-light mullion-and-transom window under an elliptical head, above is a 3-light casement and in the gable a 2-light one, as before; to the right is a mullion-and-transom window with centre French casements, and a 3-light casement above. The end gable has two 2-light mullion-and-transom casements below, a 2-light one above and a 3-light one in the gable.
Not available for inspection at resurvey, but it is said to be mostly unaltered.
Included as an unaltered Victorian vicarage of 1889 designed by F W Waller, an architect of major regional importance.
Other nearby listed buildings