This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3244 / 53°19'28"N
Longitude: -3.3277 / 3°19'39"W
OS Eastings: 311662
OS Northings: 381658
OS Grid: SJ116816
Mapcode National: GBR 5Y6Z.CZ
Mapcode Global: WH769.VPKS
Entry Name: Glanyrafon Farmhouse
Listing Date: 30 April 2001
Last Amended: 30 April 2001
Source ID: 25081
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the NW side of the crossroads in Glanyrafon.
Traditional County: Flintshire
The house, with its barn added to form a single long range, is probably C18 and is shown on the 1839 Tithe map. The entrance wing was added in the third quarter of the C19 and is shown on the 1871 Ordnance Survey, while the original house was subsequently remodelled with sash windows to suit contemporary taste. The farm was formerly a part of the Gyrn Castle Estate. In the late C20 the house was modified to create a new entrance at the rear.
A T-shaped house of snecked rubble stone with bigger quoins and slate roof. The main range is continuous with a lower added barn and has a brick ridge stack. The 2-window entrance wing, which has a lower eaves line, is added at right angles to the main range and has an end stone stack. It has wedge lintels to the openings, comprising a doorway with boarded door on the L side, to the R of which is a triple horizontal-sliding sash window with small panes. In the upper storey are 2 small-pane hornless sash windows. The main range has small-pane horned sashes under plain stone lintels. It has a single bay L of the entrance wing and 2 bays to the R, where there is also a boarded door lower L. The rear of the entrance wing has a centrally placed horizontal sash window in the lower storey and a fixed window upper R.
The barn, which has a corrugated asbestos-cement roof, retains a single small ventilation strip on the R side, and 2 loft doorways on the L-hand side. The rear of the barn has garage doors inserted on the L side, with inserted sash window to its L, but retains on the R side a boarded door and casement window to the R under wooden lintels. The garage doors also obscure an earlier window with brick jamb. The 2-window rear of the house has lintelled windows similar to the front, except for a triple horizontal-sliding sash window lower R. The rear has been remodelled as the main entrance by inserting a doorway on the R side. A lean-to at the L end has a boarded door facing the house, while the side wall has a triple horizontal-sliding sash window. Beyond the lean-to are 2 attached monopitched former kennels or pigsties.
Listed as a well-preserved farmhouse retaining C19 character and for its contribution to the historic character of Glanyrafon.
Other nearby listed buildings