This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2996 / 53°17'58"N
Longitude: -3.7406 / 3°44'26"W
OS Eastings: 284095
OS Northings: 379488
OS Grid: SH840794
Mapcode National: GBR 2Z98.YW
Mapcode Global: WH655.HBZ8
Plus Code: 9C5R77X5+VQ
Entry Name: Colwyn Bay County Primary School
Listing Date: 15 May 2001
Last Amended: 15 May 2001
Source ID: 25178
Building Class: Education
Location: On S side of Conway Road, near junction with Brompton Avenue.
Community: Colwyn Bay (Bae Colwyn)
Community: Colwyn Bay
Built-Up Area: Colwyn Bay
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Built 1876. Following the Education Act of 1870, a School Board was established for the Colwyn District. The chairman was Whitehall Dod (1823-1878) owner of the Bryn Euryn estate (Rhos on Sea), and the Llannerch Estate near St Asaph, as well as land at Glan Conwy. The school was built on land owned by Dod, at the west end of Colwyn Bay to serve rural communities, and has some similarities with other work commissioned by Dod (eg Ship Hotel, Rhos on Sea).
School; mainly single-storey. Grey stone, snecked: yellow stone dressings, slate roofs; chimneys with upper courses in brick. Long elevation facing road has paired gables to L; left of these has large mullion and transom window of 7 lights in all, to R, upper level has 3-light window, lower level, 4-light window. To R, roof sweeps down over 5-window block with buttressed central gabled bay (3-light mullion and transom window), 2-light, and 3-light windows flanking; Gothic doorway to L, boarded door with elaborate strap hinges; at ridge of roof, ventilator, and open belcote with steep pyramidal roof with weathervane. Large gabled bay with large mullion and transom window of 7 lights in all; then block of 5 windows; 2nd and 4th bays have buttressed gables with 3-light mullion and transom windows, others 3-light mullion windows. Right return has large gable with 5-light window, smaller gable with 4-light window, and 2-light window between. Low stone boundary wall to front.
Rear of building in similar style, with, at W end, pair of gables; large cross wing with 2 gables to W side, flat roofed block between this and smaller gabled block with stepped mullion and transom windows, flat-roofed block with mullion and transom windows.
The interior retains its overall plan and character to a remarkable degree. Large class rooms and assembly hall. The original open roofs are retained above recent suspended ceilings, corbels and feet of trusses visible. Wooden stairs to offices on upper floor (east)
Well-preserved and designed Board School of 1876, retaining much original character in interior and exterior.
Other nearby listed buildings