This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8862 / 51°53'10"N
Longitude: -3.6135 / 3°36'48"W
OS Eastings: 289046
OS Northings: 222084
OS Grid: SN890220
Mapcode National: GBR YD.R6BQ
Mapcode Global: VH5FL.BV1C
Entry Name: Cnewr and attached buildings
Listing Date: 25 May 2001
Last Amended: 25 May 2001
Source ID: 25198
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated on the W side of the A4067 some 2.4 km S of Crai village.
Community: Cray (Crai)
Locality: Cray Reservoir
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Very large farm complex, a late C19 remodelling of a group of buildings of 1821 built for the Brecon Forest Tramroad, promoted by John Christie of Glanusk. The buildings were built as a depot as originally it was hoped to find coal but ultimately only limestone was transported. Cnewr was the principal depot, some buildings being used for storing limestone, and also a sheep farm. Originally an arched entry to the courtyard with mirrored farmhouses each side, of which the right side remains intact, and the service wing of the left side, the farmhouse itself remodelled on a larger scale c1900. The ranges of outbuildings connected with the sheep farm look mostly late C19. Cnewr is marked on the Crai Tithe map and the tramroad on the Great Forest of Brecon Tithe map where the estate is owned by Joseph Claypan and occupied by the Cnewr Company.
Farm complex with farmhouse each side of arched entry into farmyard and low outbuildings attached to rear of each house forming sides of yard, and part-enclosing the lower end. Rubble stone with slate roofs, the front colourwashed roughcast for older parts, stucco for rebuilt left range and the rear outbuildings whitewashed.
Arch has gable with overhanging verges and tiny roundel, over big 2-storey tooled stone archway dated JC 1821 on keystone. Tooled stone piers and recessed blank tympanum. Range to right has two square 6-pane upper sashes to service range and farmhouse with three 6-pane sashes over two 12-pane sashes and centre door with overlight. Grey brick end stacks.
Farmhouse of c1900 to left has stuccoed front, steeper pitched slate roof and C20 grey brick end stacks. Three-window front of sashes with marginal glazing-bars and central enclosed gabled porch. Two-window service range to right (part of 1821 range to same roof height) with windows lengthened c1900 to match. One-window left end wall with 6-pane sash over sash with marginal bars, to right of rear wing with brick ridge stack, 3-window range, 6-pane sashes over two 16-pane sashes, and one with marginal glazing bars.
Throughway under arch is cobbled with timber joists and timber lintel to rear opening with triple casement over. To right, one window each floor of original 1821 range before large c1900 parallel rear range to rebuilt farmhouse, stone with brick window surrounds and similar detail to rear wing at right angles. Single-storey range runs downhill from rear wing, slate roofed, to taller cartshed with double doors and 3-3-3-pane overlight.
To left, rear of service range has door and 2 windows and rear of 1821 farmhouse is outshut with door and window over in end wall. Attached long single-storey range runs downhill with short return at top end to join to house end wall. Four broad full height doorways and 2 attached ranges at right angles. The first at upper end, parallel to rear of house, is small and open-fronted, of 4 bays, enclosing narrow cobble yard, and has outshut rear with four low doors. The other at the bottom is longer and slightly taller with 3 square windows under eaves and broad full-height double doors left of centre, facing up the yard. Three roof-lights.
Not available for inspection.
Included at a higher grade as a very unusual complex combining industrial and agricultural uses on a large scale and largely retaining its character.
Other nearby listed buildings