This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5216 / 51°31'17"N
Longitude: -3.2132 / 3°12'47"W
OS Eastings: 315920
OS Northings: 180997
OS Grid: ST159809
Mapcode National: GBR K84.HH
Mapcode Global: VH6F6.804V
Entry Name: Nos. 18-24 Pen-y-dre (evens)
Listing Date: 30 November 2001
Last Amended: 30 November 2001
Source ID: 25874
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In the centre of the first terrace group on the N side of the most southerly road of the Garden Village, the 3rd terrace in from the main thoroughfare of Heol-y-deri.
Community: Rhiwbina (Rhiwbeina)
Locality: Rhiwbina Garden Village(S)
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Garden City movement began at turn of C19/C20; Garden City Association was formed and a seminal conference held at Bourneville Birmingham in 1901. Pioneer developments were at Hampstead Garden Suburb and Letchworth. Aim was to provide workers with modest but good quality housing on the cottage principle in healthy green surroundings incorporating open spaces, adequate private gardens, with hedges and trees lining the roads. Garden Village houses were also amongst the first small houses to have inside lavatories, bathrooms, and to incorporate dpcs. In 1911 the Cardiff Workers' Cooperative Garden Village Society was formed which bought for development an area of Pentwyn Estate by Rhiwbina Halt. Raymond Unwin, a leading light in the movement, was invited to provide plans. Contemporary posters c 1913 issued by the Society and also the Garden Village Management Committee promoted it as 'Rhubina Fields', a suburb with convenient transport 'Rail from Rhymney Station, Motor Bus from North Road' and 'From Work to Home by Train or Bus. Gardening - Tennis - Country Walks.' Originally over 1000 houses were envisaged. First area to be developed in 1912-13 was the 'Village Green' Y Groes Nos. 1-22, together with Nos. 2-20 Lon Isa, an E/W road to the N, and Nos. 2-22 Lon-y-dail, a tree-lined N/S avenue to W; architect A H Mottram of Parker and Unwin and builder J O West. Next area to be developed in 1914 though only transferred to Garden Village in 1917 was Pen-y-dre, to S alongside a stream and incorporating footbridges; architect H Avray Tipping or assistant Eric Francis. T Alwyn Lloyd became architect in 1915 and continued the development to W, including a house for himself No. 11 Heol Wen which dominates Pen-y-dre. In 1920, 93 further houses were built and in 1922 another 26. School added in 1928. Garages began to be added 1930s, though by now plans were suffering a downturn. The Society employed its own staff of workmen to maintain the buildings. Houses were originally painted in cream with Buckingham Green windows. Rhiwbina Garden Village Ltd was wound up in 1981, a Conservation Area including almost all the development having been created in 1976.
This terrace dated 1921.
Terrace of 4 houses. Built of red and blue brick with low pitched hipped roofs of small slates, 5 tall lateral and ridge stacks and overhanging boarded eaves. Symmetrical plan of 5 bays shared between the 4 dwellings, centre right and centre left bays recessed, thus giving each dwelling a stepped frontage with 2 windows to each floor. Windows are 16-pane sashes with architraves and narrow sills; front doors are boarded and part-glazed. Units at end (nos. 18 and 24) have round arched side entrances with 2 first-floor side windows and the stepped frontage with 2 windows to each floor. Units at centre (nos. 20 and 22) have front doors at the angle between the recessed and projecting bays; round-arched passageway at the centre of the terrace with plaque 'CWC 1921 GVS'.
Listed as an integral part of the core of Rhiwbina Garden Village.
Other nearby listed buildings