This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2828 / 53°16'58"N
Longitude: -3.356 / 3°21'21"W
OS Eastings: 309693
OS Northings: 377063
OS Grid: SJ096770
Mapcode National: GBR 5Z0G.7X
Mapcode Global: WH76H.FR45
Entry Name: Hendre-fawr farmstead
Listing Date: 11 January 2002
Last Amended: 11 January 2002
Source ID: 26083
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: About 3 km east of Cwm parish church, reached by an unclassified road which branches east from the Caerwys Road near Penisa'r-waen. Stone wall at roadside with gateway to farmyard at right, gate and
Traditional County: Flintshire
A house and barn probably of the C18 with other buildings appended, forming a compact roadside farmstead. The windows of the house have been altered in the late C19 or early C20.
The farmstead was formerly known as Hendre('r) Mynach. This does not necessarily imply a mediaeval origin: the name was apparently properly that of an adjacent farm in Whitford parish, applied to this farm when the latter was demolished and its fields acquired by Hendre-fawr.
It was noted in the Tithe Survey (1844) as a tenancy on the Mostyn estate occupied by Richard Hughes; it was occupied by Miss Hughes in 1912.
A farmstead group consisting of a two-storey single-unit house at left, a barn and a further two-storey range in a line parallel to the road, with single-storey ranges at each end at right angles, forming three sides of a roadside farmyard. The buildings are in axe-dressed uncoursed local limestone with slate roofs and tile ridges.
The house, at the left of the group, limewashed, is joined to the adjacent single-storey range at right angles by a wide stone-built open-fronted porch partly within the single storey range. This range is within the domestic part segregated from the farmyard, and may have served as an out-kitchen. Single two-light casement window to right, single two light casement window not aligned above. House has large chimney at left. The house has a rear wing also slate-roofed with a lateral chimney.
The barn has a large central great door with segmental arch, ventilation slits to left and right, and a door and small loft window at the right.
The enclosure of the farmyard is completed by a single storey range at right-angles: similar stonework, slate roof at front (sheeting at rear); door and two windows with voussoir heads. Lean-to stone annexes to roadside and to rear.
A minor farmstead which displays an archaic relationship of house to agricultural range, and which has retained its traditional character.
Other nearby listed buildings