This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2441 / 53°14'38"N
Longitude: -4.2291 / 4°13'44"W
OS Eastings: 251354
OS Northings: 374215
OS Grid: SH513742
Mapcode National: GBR HNX3.ZHD
Mapcode Global: WH540.0QFC
Entry Name: Lewis Rogers Almshouses
Listing Date: 5 February 1952
Last Amended: 29 January 2002
Source ID: 26142
Building Class: Health and Welfare
Location: Set at right angles to the S side of the B5420 in the centre of the village of Penmynydd.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Traditional County: Anglesey
Early C17 range of almshouses, dated by a sunk panel over the central porch entrance which bears the date and initials: I P H S 1620. The will of Lewis Rogers, dated 17th January 1617, gives £1000 in trust to Richard Owen Tudor Esq. of Penmynith and Mr Hugh Williams of the parish of Esgeivioge Gent. who, with the parson and churchwardens of Penmynith he appoints feoffees in trust for the purpose of building an almshouse in the parish for the relief of 10 men over the age of 50 years, each to receive £5 per annum. After a number of other beneficiaries were named, including the above named gentlemen who each received £20 for their trouble, the residue of the estate was left to pay for the maintenance of the almshouses. The houses, complete with linen, were completed for the sum of £300.
By the time of the Tithe of the parish, 1843, the almshouses were recorded as being on the land of Lord Richard Williams Bulkeley, and occupied by paupers of the parish. Some restorations were carried out in late C19, including the re-roofing of the range with thick roofing slates.
Originally there were 10 almshouses, each with a single room downstairs and a small loft/bedroom above. In the mid C20 the range was modernised, wider windows inserted along the rear and the internal arrangement adjusted so that today there are 5 houses along the range; all now have 2 ground floor rooms apiece. At the time of the survey plans were being drawn up to change the internal arrangement again and to reduce the number of houses to just 3 separate dwellings along the row.
Further restorations carried out in mid-late C20 include the re-roofing of the range in slate, as well as the restoration of the opposing outhouse ranges which were also re-roofed with slate.
Second from the end of the row of 5 tenements and recessed behind the advanced wings. A 2 window range with central doorway. There is a tablet over the doorway which bears the initials L R.
Interior not inspected at the time of the survey.
Listed at Grade II* as an exceptionally well preserved and well detailed range of early C17 almshouses. A coherently planned range which retains much of its original vernacular character and many original features including windows, doorways and datestone.
Other nearby listed buildings